Q. I have recurrent problem of acidity and throat pain. Please help.

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 03, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 31 year old male. I had mild pain at the right side of my throat. I had pain while chewing something or when throat muscles contracted like while brushing teeth or touching the innermost tooth with tongue. It subsided after 15 to 20 days; I took homeopathy medicines for infection. But now, after about seven days I am feeling pain in my Adam's apple. I felt the pain while swallowing saliva only and not much while swallowing food or drinking water. I have an allergy for heat and humidity and that causes lots of sneezing and cough problem. I also have a recurrent problem of acidity. I do not smoke or drink. Please advise me on this. What should I do now?

#

• Do you have any fever or cough? If yes, then is it associated with expectoration?
  • Can you feel any lumps or lymph nodes in the neck? Do you have any history of tonsillitis?
  • From the symptoms briefed above, you have allergic rhinitis with URTI (upper respiratory tract infection).
  • Treatment of allergic rhinitis involves avoidance of exposure to allergen. You need to avoid the trigger whatever it may be such as dust, molds, pollen, indoor allergens, pets, perfumes, fumes, pollution, incense sticks and cold temperature.
  • Pharmacological therapy includes short course of antihistamines like tablet Levocetirizine twice daily. If symptoms do not go down, then tablet Montelukast 10 mg once daily in the evening till the symptoms are relieved.
  • If symptoms do not respond, then intranasal spray Mometasone two sprays in each nostril daily till symptoms disappear. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
  • For acidity tablet Pantop 40 mg (Pantoprazole) once daily for four weeks before breakfast and syrup Sucralfate or Mucaine gel or Gelusil for immediate relief.
  • Take frequent small meals. Strictly say no to spicy food, salt, sour food and pickles.
  • Drink cold milk and avoid eating raw onions in salads. Decrease intake of tea and coffee. There should not be any starving or irregular feeding habits.
  • For URTI, if you still have pain in the throat or cough or any sign of infection then I suggest the following treatment.
  • Tablet Azithral 500 mg (Azithromycin) once daily for three to five days or tablet Amoxicillin 500 mg thrice daily or tablet Augmentin 625 mg (combination of Amoxicillin and Clavulanate) twice daily for three to five days.
  • I repeat that the environmental control creates wonders with regard to allergic rhinitis. If that is not or poorly responsive to the medication and affects your lifestyle badly, you should visit an allergy specialist for immunotherapy or desensitization.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

I do not have a fever now, but this problem started with a mild fever and that lasted for a day. I do not have a cough, but it sometimes comes up with tightness in the chest. Then, it goes away on its own. There is no history of lymph nodes or a lump or tonsil infection.

#

• If you do not have a fever or symptoms like pain while swallowing, then you need not use any antibiotics.
  • Dry cough associated with chest tightness is due to its allergic nature.
  • I suggest you syrup Grilinctus plain (Dextromethorphan hydrobromide and Guaifenesin)) or syrup Robitussin 15 mL thrice daily to get rid of the cough.
  • You may also follow natural remedies like ginger tea with one tablespoon of honey two to three times daily. Also, a glass of water with 1 tablespoon of honey and 1 teaspoon of pepper mixed with it will help.
  • As I have already shared, environmental both indoor and outdoor control of triggers or allergens remains the mainstay to control allergic rhinitis.

|