Q. My nose is stuffy, and I have headaches. Is it a chronic sinus infection?

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 27, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 02, 2021

I think that I may have a chronic sinus infection. Before four months, I wake up and blew my nose. I had a yellow or greenish mucus with blood in the morning. I did not have any other symptoms except tiredness. I took Advil and seawater nasal spray. It lasted for a couple of weeks. After that, I had a bit of mucus dripping into my throat for a couple of months. After that, I started to have some pressure in my right eyes. I consulted a doctor and he prescribed Amoxiclav for seven days. My eye problem got better and after stopping my medications, I started to feel unwell again. Again, I consulted a doctor and he prescribed me Clarithromycin 500 mg for ten days.

After finishing them, I started to have the same problem. I had tiredness, pain in my nose with dizziness. My body temperature was higher than normal. So I consulted a doctor again and she gave me antibiotics. It did not help me. She told me that I have a viral infection and told me to avoid taking dairy products. It has been two weeks now and I am feeling better. But still, I have a stuffy nose in the morning with a bit of yellow mucus. Sometimes, I have headaches with a tingling feeling in the left side of my head. My heart rate is high, especially in the morning. I think that I may have anxiety. I am using Corticosteroid nasal spray and seawater spray. Please advice.

#

You have a chronic allergic problem. Allergic rhinitis is an immune complex issue that is present innately and it starts to shows symptoms at a particular stage. It occurs when a foreign substance enters the nose. It causes a cascade of chemical events leading to nasal congestion, watery nasal discharge, itching in eyes and nose, fullness in ears, and often leads to sinusitis causing heaviness in the face involving frontal and maxillary regions. Antibiotics help a lot.

You need to wear an N95 mask and it does not allow the triggering factor to enter into the nose. Nasal steroid spray helps a lot. I suggest you take a combination of topical steroids such as Fluticasone propionate with an antihistamine such as Azelastine hydrochloride two puffs in each nostril two times a day for three months. Take antiallergics containing Fexofenadine 120 mg one tablet two times a day for 20 days. Take Clarithromycin 500 mg twice a day. Do salt water gargling eight to ten times a day. Do steam inhalations. Take only warm water. Avoid taking cold, spicy, and oily junk foods. Avoid smoking and drinking alcohol as it slows down mucociliary activity and leads to causing secretions inside the nose. It results in sinusitis and other related problems.

|