Q. Recurrent sinus infections are disrupting my life. Please help.

and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 20, 2017 and last reviewed on: May 09, 2019

I am a 20 year old female. I am not on any medication. I take probiotic, multivitamin, vitamin D, Cal-mag and omega supplements daily. I seem to have recurrent infections. In the last three years, I have had two strands of mononucleosis, pneumonia twice, ongoing sinus infections, recurring strep throat, and tonsillitis which resulted in getting the tonsils removed. I also had a stomach infection.

I cannot take antibiotics anymore because the infections come back when I stop the medications. I was referred to an allergist and have tested negative to all the allergies. I do not know where to go from here. Hodgkin's lymphoma, leukemia, as well as colon, prostate, and breast cancer has been in my family. Is there a chance I could have any of those? Doctors have said that it could be just a phase of being sick. But, I am tired and worn out. I want to get my life back. Any guidance would help.

#

Firstly, do not worry, your condition is not suggestive of those cancers.

• Regarding your ongoing sinusitis, it is an allergic sinusitis in all probabilities. An allergy test will not pick up all the allergies. So, it is not reliable in ruling out different allergies. 
  • I suggest the following measures for you: 
  1. Duonase (a combination of Azelastine and Fluticasone propionate) nasal spray, twice a day for a week or two, then once a day or as and when needed.
  2. Tablet Allegra M (a combination of Fexofenadine and Montelukast) at bedtime for two weeks.
  3. Steam inhalation four to six times a day.
  4. Avoid chilled foods and beverages.
  5. At the very beginning of a sore throat, use betadine mouth rinse or warm saline gargles to prevent bacterial infection or viral multiplication.
  6. If you get stomach symptoms like pain, bloating, burping, nausea, vomiting, etc., you should have some antacid like tablet Pantoprazole 40 mg before breakfast for two to three days.
  7. Avoid spicy and fatty foods. Do exercises regularly. Stay healthy.

Hope this helps. Get back if you have any doubts.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|