Q. What causes running nose and nasal congestion?

and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 14, 2018 and last reviewed on: May 09, 2019

Whenever I sit or lie under a fan or walk outside when it is windy, I suffer from running nose and nasal congestion. So, a few days back I did a CT scan PNS, and the report says there is predominant ethmoidal sinusitis and DNS deviated towards left. Kindly tell me how serious is my condition as per the above description of CT scan PNS. I am not willing to do surgery. Let me know whether it can be taken care of without doing surgery or not, and also kindly advise me with medicines and other measures to take care of my illness.

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

It is not a severe condition, and the surgery is not always required if there is a response to treatment. You appear to have two issues, one is allergic sinusitis, and another one is DNS (deviated nasal septum). Your predominant symptoms are likely due to allergic sinusitis. So treatment depends upon the frequency of the symptoms. If the symptoms are occurring on a daily basis or most of the days of a week, then you may need a long course of treatment.

If you are having symptoms on and off, then you may require a short-term treatment. It is advisable to get yourself examined by a local doctor once. We usually prescribe Duonase nasal spray (Fluticasone propionate with Azelastine) which is given two times a day for four to five days if the symptoms are occasional. It is not advisable in persons having infections like fever and body ache. Also, we also ask to have tablet Solvin cold (Paracetamol with Phenylephrine) at bedtime whenever required. Steam inhalation done during a significant period for three times will help. Usually, patients respond well to medicines and surgery is not always needed.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

Why does running nose, sneezing and blocked nose happen?

Query: Hi doctor, I have bad running nose, sneezing and blocked nose in the morning for the last ten days. I have taken Augmentin 375 for five days. It improved a bit but again relapsed today. Please help.  Read Full »

Which natural remedy can be used to cure chronic nasal congestion?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a runny nose, chronic nasal congestion, chills when cold, sneezing triggered by scents, cat, stress, cold, cigarette smoke and cleaning products. An occasional sore throat, warm body temperature, and clear nasal drip. This has been going on for over six months. Prescribed antib...  Read Full »