Q. How to cure eye allergy?

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal
This is a premium question & answer published on May 11, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 27, 2020

My 3 year old son has eye allergy for over two months now. When I consulted first, doctor suggested after inspection that it is a kind of seasonal pollen allergy and to give the eye drop Olopatadine along with Cellulose based eye lubricant. As it was not completely cured they gave steroid based eye drops also. There was some improvement with steroid based drops, but the doctor said it cannot be given for a longer time. I have also shown him to other eye specialists and they too said the same thing. The problem is that it looks like there is improvement but again the eye turns red. It is present in both eyes. Please help us.

#

• Eye allergies, called allergic conjunctivitis, are a common condition that occurs when the eyes react to something that irritates them, called an allergen. The most common allergens are dust and pollens.
  • The eyes produce a substance called histamine to fight off the allergen. As a result, the eyelids and conjunctiva (the thin, filmy membrane that covers the inside of your eyelids) become red, swollen and itchy, with tearing and burning.
  • The key to treating eye allergies are,
  1. Avoid or limit contact with the substance causing the problem.
  2. Avoid rubbing eyes instead do cold compresses.
  3. Use antiallergic eye drop like Olopatadine along with lubricating eye drop.
  • We prescribe mild steroid in pulse dose in case allergy is severe.  In longstanding allergy, we also prescribe Tacrolimus (Talimus ointment) with very good results.
  • Some doctors also prescribe Cyclosporine instead of Tacrolimus and that is also effective in longstanding cases.
  • This will help you and I am very sorry to say that there is no medicine to cure allergy. Only way is to stay away from all those things that you are allergic to.
  • Also this allergy will trouble him every year and usually after puberty it decreases.

For further information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

|