Q. My 10 months old baby got a red line in his right eye. Please give a solution for this.

Dr. Asha Barboza
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

My 10 months old baby boy got a red line in his right eye. Please give a solution for this.

Dr. Asha Barboza

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

Unfortunately, the photo is not very clear. If you can upload a better one with a front view, I would be able to make out better. A little more history is required too. You mentioned it is there for one month.

• Does this happen every day?
  • Is the eye-watering?
  • Does the baby rub his eyes?
  • Is there any white or yellow discharge?
  • Is there any history of running nose or cold-like symptoms?
  • Are there any skin allergies?
  • Does the baby is on any medications for anything else?

If it is coming and going, it could be an allergy.

1. Toba DM (Tobramycin and Dexamethasone) eye drops four times a day for one week.
  2. Olopat (Olopatadine) eye drops 0.1% twice daily for two weeks.

Please reply to the above questions.

| 

Thank you for your reply.

It comes and goes, and there is no watering and no white, yellow discharge present. Sometimes the baby will rub the eye. To confirm this, I will send you a picture. I am using D3 safe drops and Myopeptine drops from birth, it is a doctor's suggestion that is all.

Dr. Asha Barboza

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

Thank you for the photo (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

It is much more apparent. It still looks like an allergy. But it would help if you found out what the baby is allergic to because once the eye drops are stopped, it could come back. Also, please talk to your pediatrician about deworming medication. Babies tend to put dirty things in their mouths to get intestinal worms that rarely manifest with eye allergy. Please note if it is always in the right eye or sometimes in the left eye. You can start the eye drops I mentioned. I am saying the generic names if you cannot find a particular brand in your city.

• Tobramycin + Dexamethasone eye drops four times a day in the right eye for one week.
  • Olopatadine, 0.1% eye, drops twice daily in both eyes for two weeks.

The second drop Olopat is for the prevention of allergy. It will take a few days for the medicine to work. Please let me know how he is doing after one week

|