Q. What are the reasons for sudden eye swelling?

Dr. Anand Yattinamani

I have allergies and normally it presents with runny nose and itchy eyes. So, I have been rubbing my eyes. Today, there is a sudden onset of swelling of the eye. It keeps spreading from the left corner of my eye to below and above the orbital area of my left eye. I have red conjunctiva. I can able to see and there is no spots or blurring of vision. There are some pain and discomfort. I had Zyrtec 10 mg one dose. Also, I did a 5 minute normal saline wash with ophthalmic Prednisolone 2 drops. But, the swelling continues and is thickened. The conjunctiva seems distorted in shape. Please help.

#

I have gone through the pictures of your eyes (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• As you mentioned it looks like acute allergic reaction. Continue the same medicines, Zyrtec (Cetirizine) twice a day and Prednisolone eye drops 2 hourly. It will resolve in a day.
  • If it does not resolve in a day, then the other reason can be thyroid problem and it may be related to thyroid eye disease. Or it can also be conjunctivitis.
  • You can start on anti-allergic eye drops like Olopatadine twice a day. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
  • You can follow up with the pictures after a day if the problem continues.

For further information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

|