Q. What is the reason for continuous eye allergy and irritation?

Dr. N. Sathian
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 10, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 26, 2020

I have eye allergy for the past 1.7 years. I have consulted many doctors. I am using steroid eye drops too, but my eye allergy is still present. My eye irritates when it contact with blowing air, perfumes, air conditioner, strong odors, when I get cold and sometimes suddenly without any exposure. Occasionally, it causes pain in the eyes and head. I do not know what caused this. What is the permanent solution for this? Is there any other alternate remedy for this? When I take Cetirizine my irritation subsides in 30 minutes. Please help.

Dr. N. Sathian

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

• It seems to be a generalized allergy with sneezing, cold eye symptoms and headache which could be due to sinusitis, pharyngitis and allergic conjunctivitis.
  • This can be triggered either because of a drop in your anti-allergic immunity or any form of new exposure due to changes in your residential place or in your surrounding environment.
  • This allergy is seasonal and gets repeated either when your immunity is low or when your exposure to allergens is high.
  • You can treat yourself with anti-allergic drops or tablets and raise your anti-allergic immunity with a diet rich in Vitamin C and E.

For further information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

| 

Actually, when I get allergy, I feel some sensation like a worm inside. Once I take Cetirizine, it disappears in 15 to 20 minutes and my eye gets normal. Why?

Dr. N. Sathian

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

• This is called gritty feeling (eye irritation) and usually caused by allergy.
  • It will settle on using tapered doses of medication after consulting an ophthalmologist at your place.

For further doubts consult an eye care ophthalmologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

|