Q. As soon as I go out, why do I get red rashes in the ear canal?

Dr. Shyam Kalyan. N

I have had ear problems now for a long time. The problems occur when I am outside in the fresh air, even for a short period. As soon as I am outside in fresh air, I get red spotted rash in the ear canal that eventually secrete some fluid. After a while, it gets filled with so much fluid that the doctor has to suck out all of the secretions, as the ear canal gets plugged. My ENT doctors do not have any suggestion on this matter. Do you have any idea on what this might be? Thank you.

#

Your problem does appear rare. Can you help me with more details on it?

1. Do you have any prescription papers or photograph of the ear?
  2. Does this happen to both ears?
  3. Does it occur every time you venture out in fresh air?
  4. How do you know you get such a rash inside the ear canal? We normally cannot see the inside of our ear canal.
  5. How much time does it take for the ear to discharge after exposure to fresh air? Is it immediate or does it take some time?
  6. Do you have any hearing loss?
  7. Has any doctor looked into the ear and checked the condition of your eardrum?
  8. Do you get vertigo or an earache or nose block or throat pain?
  9. Have you inserted Q-tip or any other sharp object into the ear?
  10. Do you hear any ringing noise inside the ear?
  11. Have you done any blood investigations recently? If so, can you please share the reports?
  12. Has the secretion that comes out subjected to any culture sensitivity test or any other examination?
  13. Do you take medicines for any other condition?

If you provide me answers for these, it will help me make a definitive diagnosis. I will help find a solution to your problem.

Revert with more information to an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

Thank you for replying. Yes, it affects both ears, and it happens every time I am outside. The doctors have discovered the rash in the ear canal. It happens almost immediately after being exposed to fresh air. Yes, I experience hearing loss on both sides. The eardrum looks normal, and I do not have vertigo. Yes, I experience an earache. No, I did not insert Q-tip or any sharp objects. I do not have ringing noise, and my blood samples look normal. No, I do not take any other medications. The secretions have been examined, and there were no traces of bacteria, virus, or fungus. Hope this helps. Thank you.

#

I appreciate your patience and answering all questions.

• We need to check if you are allergic to any substance in your area. It will be prudent to do a skin prick allergy testing or an immunoCAP blood allergy testing to identify the offending allergen.
  • Next, we want to identify what hearing loss you suffer from. Whether it is a conductive type or deafness or neural type. For the same, you must get a pure tone audiogram testing done. Also, a tympanogram also is required for us to understand the middle ear pressures.
  • Till we arrive at a diagnosis, I suggest you avoid direct exposure. You may wear masks and earplugs when you venture outside. Do revert with the reports.

Revert with more information to an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

|