Q. How to promote hair growth in a 5-year-old kid with patchy hair loss?

Dr. Filza Hafeez

I am starting to become concerned about my daughter. My 5-year-old daughter has thick yellow patches on her scalp, which caused the hair to fall out. It has been there for over a year now, and there has been no sign of any new hair growth. The area with no hair is discolored compared to the rest of her scalp. I have been washing her hair with cradle cap shampoo, and the doctors gave her Daktarin cream to use for four weeks. It is looking better now. But it did not help with hair growth as they said it could stimulate hair growth. She has been referred to a dermatologist, but it is a five-month wait due to the backlog with COVID. I am concerned that new hair growth will never happen with how long it has been there. I am worried it could be scarring alopecia which would mean the hair loss is permanent. Some doctors have said it is alopecia areata, but I do not think it is, as it is not completely round. Kindly give your suggestions.

#

I went through your query and understood your concern.

From the history you shared, it seems like a fungal infection of the scalp, which is quite common in this age group. Fungal infections of the scalp usually cause hair loss, but it is nothing to worry about. But the hair growth may be retarded a bit. So, I suggest you to continue with Daktarin gel (Miconazole) for two months, and the hairs will automatically grow back.

I hope this has helped you.

Thank you for your reply.

What does retarded mean? Is it like it will be slow progress?

Please give me your opinion.

#

Yes, slow progression, but ultimately, everything will be back.

I hope I have cleared your doubt. Take care.

|