Q. I am losing hair in my beard with bald patches. Kindly help.

Dr. Shama Naaz

I am losing my beard, and I can see small bald patches in them. Please help.

I am currently on Tretiva 20 and Cyomin 50.

#

You are complaining of small patches of hair loss from your beard. Hair loss occurs due to alopecia areata (an autoimmune disorder) or fungal infection, or bacterial infection.

To make a pinpoint diagnosis, you should send a picture of your hair loss for further management. Because without a proper diagnosis, it would be difficult to suggest a particular treatment.

I have attached the picture of my beard.

#

You have patchy hair loss, most likely to be due to alopecia areata.

Treatment:-

1. Apply Tacrolimus cream 0.1% over patches at night time.

2. Apply Minoxidil 5% lotion over the patches during the day.

Continue the treatment for two weeks and then follow up with photographs for assessment of response.

Take care not to apply the above creams/lotion over lesions of acne. Mild irritation, redness, flaking can occur. If you get any other symptoms, feel free to consult.

There is another effective method that is usually done in the clinic by a Dermatologist. Intralesional steroid therapy, in which steroid injections are given in the hairless areas. It is a very common procedure and has very good results. Two to four sessions are done at a gap of three to four weeks. For that, you should consult an experienced skin doctor.

I have also done the laser for acne. Can it be its side effect, or it is alopecia areata?

#

Usually, the answer would be no, but a very deep resurfacing by laser could damage hair follicles. The type of laser, depth of treatment, and type of acne scar you had are all dependent factors for whether this could occur. Please address your concern with your laser practitioner.

If the depth of laser treatment was too much, this could be a possibility. A very simple investigation to rule out this possibility and confirm the diagnosis of alopecia areata is getting a trichoscopy examination done by a dermatologist. It is a simple procedure and takes a few minutes.

Trichoscopy.

H/o laser treatment.

Alopecia areata.

|