Q. My blood work showed elevated ALT, AST, and bilirubin levels. Please help.

Dr. Sugreev Singh

I am a 26-year-old male. I am very active and take a healthy diet. I do not take alcohol and never smoked for five years. I just did my bloodwork, and my ALT levels were 55, and bilirubin is 1.5. My AST levels are 31. I have been taking vegan protein and Ashwagandha (herbal supplement for anxiety). My doctor had me do bloodwork two weeks later to see if it would lower. I received my second bloodwork, and my ALT was 56, and my AST was 36. So my doctor ordered an ultrasound test. I am anxious right now. Are these normal levels for ALT and AST according to my lab report? The ALT is slightly elevated (suppose to be under 45), and my AST is in the normal range (under 40). Please help.

#

Your reports are up to mark (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and there are slightly increased ALT (alanine transaminase), which is not significant to cause any symptoms. So you do not have to worry. It can be due to the medicine you are taking or diet, so please do not take any tension. ALT and AST are liver enzymes that can be elevated due to diet and medication. But in your case, they are not so high to cause any symptoms, so relax.

Please tell me, do you have any symptoms of jaundice? What symptoms do you have currently? Are you taking any allopathic medicine?

Please answer so that I can prescribe you accordingly.

I do not have any symptoms. I do not have Jaundice. The only medicine I am taking is Ashwagandha, which is herbal medicine. But I stopped that two weeks ago.

#

If you do not have any symptoms, then you do not have to worry about anything. Just stop the medications if you are taking any and have a regular healthy diet. It will help to bring your ALT and AST levels back. And then repeat the test after one month if the results are high.

If you develop any symptoms, please let me know anytime.

|