Q. What does it mean when alanine transaminase is high?

I have just done my blood test including liver profile, cholesterol profile, thyroid profile, etc. I have only one concern in the report which is high value of alanine transaminase (liver profile). Two weeks back I have stomach infection with high gastric problem. Gas is passing as burb only and not from the back. So I took antibiotics for this. Also, I have an empty stomach gas problem (sometimes) that cause headache also.

I am attaching my report with this. Do I need any medicine or Liv 52 is fine in my case? I prefer herbal or homeopathy medicine. Please suggest.

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology
#

Yes, your liver enzymes are raised which requires evaluation of the cause. Most common causes of such liver derangements are alcohol, viral hepatitis, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, and drugs. However, the rise is not very high, still we should rule out possibilities like hepatitis B and C because they can later cause liver cirrhosis.

I would advise you to get the following investigations done:

1. HBsAg (surface antigen) for hepatitis B.

2. Anti HCV (hepatitis c virus) antibody for hepatitis C.

3. Ultrasound abdomen.

A lot many times, liver dysfunction is due to non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD). So, if you have any evidence of fatty liver in ultrasound and your other tests are negative, this rise is liver enzyme would be attributed to NAFLD. For this, you need to reduce your weight, reduce fat in the diet and if required your doctor may prescribe you Ursodeoxycholic acid for the same. Make sure that you do not take any pain killers without your doctor's advice.

|