Q. Can I get pregnant even on implant contraceptive while taking Carbamazepine?

Dr. Ateeqa

I took Carbamazepine 200 mg for the first (and last) time, at the beginning of this year and stopped right after experiencing some side effects from it. A month later, I discovered that this actually interacts with contraceptive implants, which I have been on for one year. Looking back, I have had unprotected sexual intercourse a day after taking Carbamazepine. I did get a period in January. I also took pregnancy tests in February and they all came back negative. I still feel anxious, though. Is there any chance that I am actually pregnant and I have been just having some bleeding? Also, has the effect of my implant been permanently affected due to Carbamazepine or not?

#

Why did you take Carbamezepine? Do you have epilepsy?

No, I did not have epilepsy. I was supposed to take it as a mood stabilizer but I experienced auditory side effects that is why I stopped taking it after one dose.

#

Although Implanon are very effective for contraception with failure rate of <1 per 1000, but its efficacy is affected by certain drugs. Carbamazepine is an enzyme inducer that means it affects the Implanon. But the good news is that you had periods following taking it plus pregnancy test are negative and now you are not taking it further.

Note: In the future, if you need to take this medicine, take extra precaution by using condoms as a barrier method. It will prevent accidental pregnancy.

|