Q. For how long should I wait to check for pregnancy?

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod
and medically reviewed by Dr.Sowmiya
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 29, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jan 22, 2022

I am 28 years old. Last night my fiance and I got intimate. While doing so, he rubbed his penis all over my genital area. I am not sure if there was any penetration. A few hours after the closeness, I took an Unwanted-72. My last menstrual period was before three days. Could you please tell me what the chances are of me being pregnant?

#

Since you have taken an emergency pill within 72 hours of intercourse, there is no chance of pregnancy. So relax and do not worry about it.

Take care.

Thank you for the quick reply. I actually came across a few articles stating that there might be chances of pregnancy if some pre-ejaculate enters the body. For how long should I wait to be actually sure that I am not expecting? This medication may alter my menses. Also, I have terrible cramps all over my body. Is it because of the medication? I would like to go in for a urine pregnancy test or a blood test just to be satisfied. When would be the best time to get it done? I am extremely nervous.

#

The cramps and other symptoms are more physiological than anything else.

Emergency pills are sure shot safe drugs and there is no doubt of pregnancy if taken within 72 hours of intercourse.

Yes, you can expect slight variation in the period this cycle and next. But for sure you will be getting your periods.

However, if you have a doubt then wait for your next period date and if there's a delay in your periods, then you can get a urine pregnancy test done with early morning urine sample to ensure that you are not pregnant.Take care.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Hi doctor

It has been 8 days since I took unwanted 72. I have not had any withdrawal bleeding. Even though my period is due for 19 th of this month I am very scared. I came across one of icliniq’s patients who said that inspite of taking unwanted 72 after 6 hours of intercourse she became pregnant. That has got me really worried!!

Doc Would it be ok if I go for a serum beta hcg tomorrow I.e on day 9?

Or should I wait for my periods? Also just in case I end up being pregnant what do you suggest is the best way to get and abortion done ? I cannot talk about this my family. So I will have to go all alone for abortion
# Hi dear,
Please wait till your periods date.
Even if you don't get periods till then, you can go ahead with the test.
As of now there's nothing to worry about.
And it's not always required to get withdral bleeding.
However if you have a doubt, then get back to me.
Take care

|