Q. I have had an IUD for the past year, yet I am having nausea and headaches. Am I pregnant?

Dr. Sharanya Mullassery
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 06, 2021 and last reviewed on: Aug 11, 2021

I have an IUD, and I think I might be pregnant. I have been having nausea and headaches, but I am not sick. I have no other symptoms of pregnancy. I have had the IUD for a year now. I take Lamictal, Zoloft, Adderall, and Abilify. Kindly give your opinion.

#

From your history, I understand that you have been on an IUD (intrauterine device) for the past one year and are currently experiencing nausea and headaches. May I know how long you have been suffering from these symptoms?

IUD is one of the best and powerful reversible form of contraception available today. However, no method of contraception is one-hundred percent safe. If you think you might be pregnant, please take a home pregnancy test. These tests are available over the counter. You can take a home pregnancy test on the first day of your missed period.

If your IUD has caused your periods to be irregular or stop completely, you should wait for one to two weeks after you suspect your IUD failure to take a home pregnancy test.

In most cases, a negative result means that you are not pregnant. If you are experiencing unusual symptoms or suspect that the test results are incorrect, consult a doctor in person.

If the test is positive, make an appointment with a gynecologist or other healthcare provider. They will confirm the results with a simple urine or blood test and discuss the next steps.

Also, there is a possibility that nausea and headaches could be possible side effects of the current medications. If it seems the case, kindly request your healthcare provider to switch to other medicines with lesser side effects. I hope this was helpful.

|