Q. We had unprotected sex during ovulation and took Unwanted-72. Is there a chance of pregnancy?

Dr. Reetika Joshi

I had unprotected intercourse with a girl three days ago, and I am unsure about the ejaculation. She took a tablet Unwanted-72 after six hours of intercourse. Her last period happened 25 days ago and lasted for six days.

Is there a chance of pregnancy?

Kindly help.

#

As per the details of the last menstruation shared by you, there was a likelihood of ovulation around the time you had intercourse. So, there is a risk of pregnancy. As she took tablet Unwanted-72, she is away from the risk.

The emergency contraceptive pills protect you at three different stages as follows;

1) Primarily, the emergency contraceptive pill prevents the release of the egg from the ovary.

2) If the eggs are already released, it thickens the fluids around the egg to prevent fertilization of the egg.

3) If all the above scenarios have been taken place, it prevents the implantation of a fertilized egg on the uterus lining.

So, do not worry. You are safe from pregnancy.

As emergency contraceptive pills are hormone-based and you may experience the following side effects.

• Headache.
  • Nausea.
  • Spotting or light bleeding.
  • Delay of up to two weeks in subsequent periods.

Take care.

Thanks for the reply.

Is there any chance of pregnancy?

Thanks.

#

For getting pregnant, the sperms have to be released inside the vagina of the female. These sperms then need to fertilize an egg which may or may not be available depending on the ovulation pattern of the female. The fertilized egg is then required to be implanted in the uterus of the female. When all this happens successfully, then a female is said to have conceived.

As you took Unwanted-72 as an emergency contraceptive pill, you are 99 % safe.

Take care.

|