Q. Why do I feel pregnant even though my hCG levels are low and my tubes are tied??

Answered by
Dr. Manwani Saloni Dilip
and medically reviewed by Dr.Meera Premanand
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 02, 2022 and last reviewed on: Feb 05, 2022

Hello doctor,

I am 25 years old old woman who is 5 feet 10 inches in height and 270 lbs by weight. I delivered my son and had a tubal ligation done. I also have been exclusively breastfeeding and pumping as needed this whole time. I have had bad nausea and severe aversions to food for the past two weeks. I have been having cramps on and off and a frequent need to use the restroom. I had a blood test done last week, which came back negative. I tried pumping milk a few days before, and I suddenly felt pain. Today I have been having some discomfort in my uterus. I am always tired. At-home pregnancy tests are either coming back with a very faint line or nothing at all. I take tablet Cymbalta 60 mg (60 mg of Duloxetine) once a day. I have been prescribed an Ozempic injection (1.34 mg of Semaglutide), but I want to wait and see what is going on with my body before starting it. In a recent blood test, hCG levels were less than 1 per milliliter of blood. Please advise.

Thank you.



Welcome to

So after having a tubal ligation, your chances of having an intrauterine pregnancy (failure of the procedure) are significantly less. An ectopic pregnancy (pregnancy outside the uterus) is more likely. It is surprising that your blood hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) levels are less than one per milliliter of blood in the urine test that does not even have a faint line. I suggest repeating the test. If that is negative, then you need not worry. Because you have a frequent need to use the restroom, you could do a urine analysis test to rule out urinary infection. You have not had your periods because the Cymbalta 60 mg tablet (60 mg of duloxetine) causes changes in the period cycle. I hope this helps.

Thank you.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
How to avoid ectopic pregnancy?

.. have not done irreversible damage to the tube and endometrium (inner lining of the uterus), then pregnancy can happen either naturally or with treatment. A simplest way to check these two things is one mid-cycle ultrasound (around day 13 or 14 of ...   Read full

My pregnant wife was recommended a gall bladder removal surgery. When can it be done?

.. gone through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is good that you have consulted a surgeon and arrived at a diagnosis. It is nothing to panic about. If the sludge is left behind, it can cause an obstruction and not all...   Read full

I had miscarriage and ectopic pregnancy in the last six months. Is it endometriosis?

Hi doctor, I am recently trying to get pregnant and in the past six months, have had a miscarriage and an ectopic pregnancy ... Infection can cause the embryo to get stuck in the tube (ectopic), unhealthy implementation in u...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Monkeypox Virus - Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, Complications, and Prevention
Monkeypox is a zoonotic viral disease. This virus got its name as it was first noticed in laboratory monkeys in the late...  Read more»
Tomato Fever - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Tomato fever is an unidentified and fast-spreading type of viral infection seen in young children. Scroll down to know m...  Read more»
Histrionic Personality Disorder - Causes, Signs, Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatment
Histrionic personality disorder causes variations in the thinking ability of a person. Read this article to know more.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.