Q. Is it necessary to take Amikacin for a UTI at 80,000 CFU/ml in a pregnant women?

Dr. Reetika Joshi

My pregnant partner in the third trimester has been given Amikacin (aminoglycoside) to treat an E.coli UTI with 80,000 CFU/ml. The prescription is 1 gram for three days via intramuscular injection in the buttocks. In addition to this, Nitrofurantoin 100 g twice daily for ten days was also given. We are concerned with the strength and the fact that Amikacin has been contraindicated in pregnancy and is known to cause risk to vestibular or hearing development in the fetus. Now, she has developed vaginal sensitivity.

Does the risk of the UTI at 80,000 CFU/ml necessitate taking two antibiotics?

Kindly help.

#

Let me compliment you for the great understanding you have of the medical world.

You are right, as Amikacin is known to cause side effects like problems in hearing for the fetus. Although Nitrofurantoin in animals has shown no impact on a fetus when given to a pregnant animal, there are not enough tests done in humans. Also, medicine may not act the same way in humans as it has acted in animals.

I am fully concerned with your worry and agree that such a strong combination is not required as these medicines have many side effects, and other drugs are considered safe and can be prescribed while in pregnancy. I strongly recommend you please consult with your treating gynecologist for a change in medicines.

Thanks.

|