Q. My amylase and lipase levels are above normal. How to correct those levels?

Dr. Fatemeh Jadidi

My lipase and amylase are above normal with a level of 100 U/L and 192 U/L. Can you suggest some supplements to restore them?

#

Increased lipase and amylase level indicates a sign of other complication, and it needs to be diagnosed. Your BMI (body mass index) is 27.8 (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You need to reduce your weight through exercise and by following a healthy diet. However, your symptoms can also be caused due to pancreatitis, kidney dysfunction, gallbladder infection, or gallbladder stone. You have to do some test to rule out these complications.

You have to do CMP (comprehensive metabolic panel), CBC, and CT scan of the abdomen or ultrasound of pancreas and gallbladder. Also, drinking alcohol can cause hyperlipasemia. You have not mentioned about other symptoms. But if you have nausea, that stops you from eating, diarrhea, pain, fever or abnormal sweating, then you need to see a doctor soon.

|