Q. I have positive ANA result. Does this indicate an immune disorder?

Dr. Rahul Kackar
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana

I am a 38-year-old female. I started to do sea swimming every day in the past winter and spring. Stupidly, I jumped directly into the hot shower and I gave myself chilblains. After a year, my nails turned half white and I started to have the symptoms of Raynaud's phenomenon. I have done some blood tests. All the results came back fine except ANA which showed a positive result. Sometimes I have splinter hemorrhage in my cuticles. My hands and feet becomes cold and I have spider veins in my legs. I had rosacea for a long time. I am worried about scleroderma present in me. My doctor told me that there are no other blood tests that indicate immune problems.

#

I have gone through the context given by you. You have a positive ANA (antinuclear antibody) result. As your symptoms are precipitated after an accident, these symptoms are not associated with scleroderma. It is not good to start with steroids. You should do an examination of all the pulses and color of the digit points to see for a good blood supply. You can do anti-Scl (antitopoisomerase), anti-RO (anti-Sjogren syndrome-related antigen A autoantibodies), anti-LA antibodies, and a complete profile to rule the cause. You can take zinc, biotin, and magnesium supplements for the nails. Anxiety can also alter the cutaneous blood flow. Mindfulness and stress reduction techniques can be started if you have anxiety. You can try to do meditation and breathing exercises. Avoid having exposure to high temperatures that keeps the hand and feet warm.

|