Q. I noticed bright red blood on the toilet paper and my anus was bleeding. What could it be?

Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 12, 2015 and last reviewed on: Dec 20, 2018

I am an 18 year old female, and I am not on any medications. I am 5 feet 4 inches tall, and I weigh 133 pounds. About 3 to 4 days ago after having a bowel movement, I noticed a little bit of bright red blood on the toilet paper, and my anus was bleeding a little bit for the next minute or so and then it stopped. The next day, I had another bowel movement, and there was a lot less blood on the toilet paper than the day before. The next day it was completely gone. For the next two days, I did not have any bleeding. But yesterday, the bleeding was back except there was a lot more of it had dripped into the toilet. It went away shortly. The same thing happened today. I do not have any pain, constipation, diarrhea, weight loss, fatigue, or nausea. The only other symptom besides the bleeding is that the outer part of my anus feels irritated after I pass stools.

#

You need to get your stool examined for the possibility of parasites which can cause such local irritation. Also, malabsorption of certain compounds in food can lead to local irritation after passing stools. Fresh bleeding is possible if the stools are hard, but there is no such history in your case. I will advise you the following medicines for a week, and if it still does not resolve, please get yourself examined by your physician.

1. Capsule Omeprazole 20 mg once daily before breakfast for 7 days.
  2. Tablet Ofloxacin-Ornidazole twice daily for 3 days (prophylactic antibiotic coverage).

Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines after their consent. Drink plenty of water and avoid spicy foods for a week. If the bleeding is persistent, please get yourself examined.

|