Anal Discomfort

The anus is an external opening of the lower intestine. Anal discomfort occurs due to various digestive issues. The common digestive issues that cause anal discomfort are anal fissures, hemorrhoids, constipation, and diarrhea. An anal fissure is a tiny tear formed in the external skin of the anus by passing hard stools and irritation of severe diarrhea. Hemorrhoids occur due to straining of bowel movement. Diarrhea occurs due to the passage of frequent watery stools and thus it results in irritation and anal discomfort. Taking medications such as pain relievers, stool softeners, and antibiotics helps a lot. Taking a high-fiber diet helps to have normal bowel movements. Having a sitz bath with warm water helps to relieve anal pain.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

My hemorrhoid surgery postponed due to low HB. How to prevent further anal shrinkage?

Query: Hi doctor,I am a 24-year-old woman suffering from hemorrhoids. I have a feeling that my anus is reducing in size. My doctor has advised me to do surgery for removing it. But my hemoglobin levels are low. So my doctor recommended me to increase the hemoglobin levels. I am taking iron supplements to i...  Read Full »

Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri

Answer: Hi, Welcome to You have to remove piles through surgery as it is increasing in size. Anal shrinkage is not a complication of piles. Because of the enlargement seen in piles, the anal area looks shrank. You can take a stool softener for piles like Cremaffin syrup (Liquid Paraffin with M...  Read Full »

I have been experiencing severe pain in my rectal area. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am having pain in my anal rectum that continues for hours. I feel like some cut happened at that place. I am doing sitz bath and taking homeopathy medicine but of no use, since it was from the past month. I am unable to sit continuously. Please suggest some medicines for getting rel...  Read Full »

Dr. Darshan Kanani

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I understand your concern. I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing pain in your anal rectum. Pain in this area can be caused by a variety of conditions, including anal fissures, hemorrhoids, infections, or inflammatory bowel disease. You can try the following meas...  Read Full »

How do I get treated for pruritus ani?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a skin condition. As per my research, it could be pruritus ani. But I am sure I would get a proper and accurate diagnosis from your end. I have a severe itchy bum and have been suffering from the same for almost eight years. I have never had the courage to consult a dermatologist ...  Read Full »

Dr. Vinay Kumar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to can understand your concerns as I have analyzed each detail that you have provided. I have managed lots of cases with matching condition and feel that you too will make good use of the information and suggestions. First please get your stool tests done on three conse...  Read Full »

Can skin thinning result from Anovate cream?

Query: Hi doctor, Around 1 year ago, I was diagnosed with anal fissure. My doctor has prescribed me a topical steroid cream, Anovate and I used it for about eight months. My fissure was healed, but I was left with constant pain, itching and pricking sensation around the anus while walking. I was not able ...  Read Full »

Dr. Kagathara Happy Kumar Devkaranbhai

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Anal fissure develops due to erosion of anal mucosa during hard straining particularly in constipated person. This is the main cause for it. So, prevention or treatment of constipation is very important. Once the anal mucosa get eroded due to straining, then the normal...  Read Full »

I have pain in the anal region and pain and discomfort while passing stools with limited bowel movements. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 22 years old. I have pain in the anal region and pain and discomfort while passing stools. Also, my bowel movements are limited. The difficulties started two days ago. I am currently not taking any medications. Kindly help.  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I understand your concern. Anal pain and discomfort can be caused by a variety of conditions. Some common causes of anal pain and discomfort include hemorrhoids, anal fissures, and constipation. 1. Hemorrhoids are swollen veins in the rectal area that can cause pain, i...  Read Full »

Will anal fistula heal on its own?

Query: Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with fistula-in-ano before eight years. I just consulted multiple physicians and surgeons. They all said to wait and watch and put me on antibiotics. Two years later, my fistula has closed on its own and there is no pus discharge or abscess forming. The healing was fast an...  Read Full »

Dr. Kagathara Happy Kumar Devkaranbhai

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Fistula-in-ano is a surgical condition and cannot be cured by medicines only. Yes, antibiotic has minor role just to prevent infection.If fistula tract develops an infection then from which an abscess will develop and later the fistula tract may extend.External fistula op...  Read Full »

I feel a piece of soft flesh in my anal hole. What could it be?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 26-year-old female, and I will get married next year. My problem is I feel a piece of soft flesh in my anal hole. At the anal point, I have an additional piece of flesh. I am very worried about this. What could it be? Kindly suggest.  Read Full »

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Answer: Hello, Welcome to If you suffer from constipation, have been having hard stools, and have difficulty passing stool, it could be hemorrhoids. It would be better if you send some detailed description also your history and pictures of the lesion then it would be very helpful. Hemorrhoids...  Read Full »

I have a lump an inch from the anus that is not subsiding despite taking antibiotics for six days. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor, I had boils or cysts on my rear end that had to be drained by a doctor. But now I have a lump that is about an inch from my anus that is bothering me. It is not like the previous ones that had unbearable pain, redness, and irritation. This is just annoying as it is in a place that runs...  Read Full »

Dr. Sugandh Garg

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Maintain strict hygiene. Clean with antiseptic and not oils. Use topical antibiotic ointment unless otherwise contraindicated. Get physically examined and investigated to rule out any medical problems and treat them accordingly. Wear loose comfortable cotton cl...  Read Full »

I have been experiencing back pain and discomfort in my anal area for the past week, and I feel like a hemorrhoid protruding. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have been having pain and discomfort for one week in my anal area. Nearly seven years back, I had a hemorrhoidectomy. I can feel one hemorrhoid protruding out a little, and that is giving me pain. I applied piles cream locally, and it did not give much relief. Can you please advise?   Read Full »

Dr. Sagar Ramesh Makode

Answer: Hello, Welcome to May I know which cream you used? The first thing is that your stool should be soft. For that, you should eat a high-fiber diet like fruits, green leafy vegetables like spinach, and raw cucumber. Avoid smoking, refined food, and fatty and oily food. You should have p...  Read Full »

I have a small painful bulge near my anal opening. What could it be?

Query: Hi doctor, I was taking a shower, and I noticed something near my anus. It is kind of painful only when pressing it. Do you know what this might be? Could it be cancer? Thank you.  Read Full »

Dr. Basuki Nath Bhagat

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I have read your query, and sorry for the discomfort you are facing. I saw the pictures you have attached (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). In the picture, there is one single small bump that is erythematous, which means reddish in appearance....  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.