Q. Patient has excreting problem. Is it a fissure and does it need surgery?

Dr. Noushif M
Published on Apr 01, 2018

My brother is 38 years old and he is obese. His weight is more than 150 kg. He has been found with liver cirrhosis few years back and he has taken medicine for that and all went normally. Later, he found with balanitis but after medicine he was normal. At present, he used to drink but now he is facing an issue. He has an issue with excreting out due to a fissure. He said that a few days back when he was in the washroom, he felt some piece of flesh came out through his excretory part and he used to have tight stools and feels some pricking type in his anus. His tummy also feels like some balloon on his left side of tummy. He is asking that whether he is facing fissure issue and should get this thing operated or not. Sir, I want to know what should we do. He is a hypertensive too.

Dr. Noushif M

General Surgery Medical Gastroenterology Surgical Gastroenterology
#

I could find three issues with your brother. They are obesity, cirrhosis, and fissure. All these are related. He needs to lose weight. He has to be motivated with regular physical activity, modified diet and restrict fluid to 2 liters a day. Regarding cirrhosis, he needs to be on regular follow up. We need to check how bad his liver is. We need to check his :

1. Blood count.
  2. Liver function test.
  3. Creatinine.
  4. INR (international normalized ratio).
  5. USG (ultrasonography) abdomen.

Being cirrhotic he needs to have two to three times of bowel movements daily that too soft stools. When stools become hard, his fissures (cracks) in the anal region become worse and painful. So, the first step is to avoid constipation and constipating foods. Take syrup Looz (Lactulose) 30 ml at night or twice or thrice daily to achieve adequate soft stools. You can use these two creams alternately every four hours for acute pain, Cremagel (Diltiazem) and Smuth (Lidocaine, Dobisilate, and Hydrocortisone) cream. Better to try without surgery as he is cirrhotic. If pain does not settle with these measures you can go ahead with surgery. Definitely, he has to be abstinent from all liver-damaging substances.

For more information consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

Childhood Obesity : An Ayurvedic Approach to its Management

Article Overview: Environmental factors, lifestyle preferences, and cultural environment play major roles in the increasing prevalence of childhood obesity worldwide. By following the guidelines on the basis of ayurvedic fundamentals, parents can effectively manage their child's obesity. Read Article

Dr. Omendra Pal Singh

A child is considered obese when his/her Body Mass Index (BMI), a measurement obtained by dividing a person's weight by the square of the person's height, exceeds 30 Kg/m2. In ayurveda, obesity has been elaborately described by using the term atisthaulya. Childhood obesity ...  Read Article

What is Obesity? Why People Become Over-Weight?

Article Overview: Obesity is a ‘silent epidemic’. This article tells about how to find if you have obesity and the reasons for it. Read Article

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Who is Considered as An Obese Person? An Obese person is one who has too much body fat and thus has a negative effect on their health. A person is considered obese when they have a weight over 20% of their ideal body weight. On the other hand, one may consider body mass index. Body mass index, ...  Read Article

I had fatty liver.Do I have chances of developing cirrhosis?

Query: Hello doctor, I had fatty liver (due to being overweight: BMI - 28.1) 3 years ago. I do not consume alcohol. At that time the enzymes were 3-4 times elevated and had signs of fat in liver. Then I lost weight and my liver enzyme levels improved. In this last one year all my liver enzymes are normal. ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read through your query and attachments in detail. (attachments removed to protect patient identity) Please find my observations below. Having gone through your reports in detail, cirrhosis is unlikely as your most recent ultrasound done on 1st December 2014 sho...  Read Full