Q. What is the treatment for chronic prostatitis and rectum discomfort?

Answered by
Dr. Ghulam Fareed
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 09, 2023

Hello doctor,

My anal fissure surgery is done a few years back, and my anal fistula three years later. No problems after surgery. But now, I have been facing chronic prostatitis for the last four months. I visited a urologist a few days back because of pain. He asked me for a rectal examination by putting a finger in my anus to feel the prostate. At that time, he rigorously performed a rectal examination, after which a sharp pain started in my anus. I have been in slight discomfort since that day. I am taking alpha-blocker medicine for the prostate problem, and now this rectum pain has been added. I have been doing sitz baths two times and not eating spicy food or drinking alcohol for the last two months. Please advise me on what to do.



Welcome to

I read your query and can understand your concern.

So, as per prior history, this may be anal stenosis, and after a recent digital rectal examination by the urologist, there is a good possibility of having a minor anal fissure or erosion again. Warm water sit baths are the best if you are already doing them.

Other than that,

1) Consume a high-fiber diet or even laxatives to prevent constipation. The goal is to pass soft stools each day effortlessly.

2) Lidocaine gel is a local anesthesia gel that you can use before passing stools and at the time of pain at the anal verge two to three times per day for two weeks.

3) GTN ointment (Mupirocin 2% w/w) twice daily after passing stools for one to two weeks to help heal any minor fissure or erosion.

I hope this helps.

Thank you and take care.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Can anal fissure cause itching and infected skin between anus and genital area?

.. to have a fungal infection. I suggest you take Itraconazole 100 mg capsule (Ceastra XL 100 mg), twice daily for two weeks. In addition, I suggest you apply either Loceryl cream or Fungicros cream, twice daily for four weeks. You may also take an o...   Read full

Ayurvedic Management of Anal Fistula

.. invasive para-surgical measure used in managing anal fistula or Bhagandara cases. Read the article below to know more about it .. ...   Read full

Do anal fissure present with diarrhea and blood in stool?

It started with noticing some blood on the toilet paper, went to my GP and he said probably hemorrhoids nothing to worry about and then, I started having diarrhea with blood on the toilet paper again ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Coronavirus Variant Arcturus: | Omicron XBB.1.16 Variant
Arcturus is an emerging variant of the Omicron virus that causes various symptoms and spreads rapidly across the world. ...  Read more»
Adrenaline Rush - Symptoms, Causes, Effects, and How to Control
Adrenaline is a hormone responsible for fight or flight response. It is also a neurotransmitter and medicine. It is also...  Read more»
Fatty Liver - Types, Symptoms, Stages, and Treatment
The liver is the largest gland in the body. Its primary function is to process the food and drinks we consume. and filte...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Medical Gastroenterologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.