Q. Can I use over-the-counter medication to stop the itchy bleeding from the skin near my anus?

and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan

It has been a few days now. But when I first notice it, my buttcrack was itchy. Then as I wiped, there is way a lot of blood. It is not from my anus but from what seems to be from a boil. I am attaching a picture. Kindly give your opinion.

#

The picture shows a reddish fleshy mass lesion over the anal region with a possible opening appearing to be an anal fistula (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). This would definitely need a local examination by a surgical specialist and also an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) pelvis or a rectal ultrasound to rule out or differentiate between a burst boil or a fistulous opening.

My advice would be to visit your doctor at the hospital as this may require surgical intervention.

I hope this was helpful.

Is there an over-the-counter medication that I can try first? I do not want to see a doctor now. Kindly help.

#

The answer to your question would be, you shall require a diagnosis of the same first. The picture shows red mucosa, which is the fleshy mass that seems to be coming out, and there is an opening. You may apply ointment Soframycin (Framycetin) locally to prevent secondary infection over the raw wound and place a cotton bandage or Gamjee pad (cotton pad) over it so that it does not bleed further. But a visit to a doctor cannot be avoided in your case.

It is for your own good because if it is a fissure or fistula, the bleeding can continue and could be painful as well.

I hope this was helpful.

|