Q. Can I use over-the-counter medication to stop the itchy bleeding from the skin near my anus?

Answered by
Dr. Sameer Kumar
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 04, 2021

Hi doctor,

It has been a few days now. But when I first notice it, my buttcrack was itchy. Then as I wiped, there is way a lot of blood. It is not from my anus but from what seems to be from a boil. I am attaching a picture. Kindly give your opinion.



Welcome to

The picture shows a reddish fleshy mass lesion over the anal region with a possible opening appearing to be an anal fistula (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). This would definitely need a local examination by a surgical specialist and also an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) pelvis or a rectal ultrasound to rule out or differentiate between a burst boil or a fistulous opening.

My advice would be to visit your doctor at the hospital as this may require surgical intervention.

I hope this was helpful.

Hi doctor,

Thank you.

Is there an over-the-counter medication that I can try first? I do not want to see a doctor now. Kindly help.



Welcome back to

The answer to your question would be, you shall require a diagnosis of the same first. The picture shows red mucosa, which is the fleshy mass that seems to be coming out, and there is an opening. You may apply ointment Soframycin (Framycetin) locally to prevent secondary infection over the raw wound and place a cotton bandage or Gamjee pad (cotton pad) over it so that it does not bleed further. But a visit to a doctor cannot be avoided in your case.

It is for your own good because if it is a fissure or fistula, the bleeding can continue and could be painful as well.

I hope this was helpful.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
MRI says degenerative changes seen. Is any treatment required?

A lumbar brace can help too, coupled with physiotherapy ...   Read full

After surgery for anal fistula, pus is coming out of the wound. What to do?

You have an operated anal fistula ... Hi doctor,I have done kshala sutra treatment for fistula ... He told me it as a ...   Read full

There is an anal fistula with release of pus. What ayurvedic medicine should I take?

I am taking ayurvedic tablets ... Hello doctor,I have had fistula two years ago ... An anorectal fistula is an abnormal channel from the anus or rectum usually to th...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Alzheimer's Disease - an Overview
Alzheimer's is a neurodegenerative condition that can seriously hamper one's day to day activities and quality of life. ...  Read more»
My father is experiencing hospital delirium after ankle surgery. Please help.
Hi doctor, I am concerned about drug interaction for my father. He is experiencing hospital delirium after surgery. My ...  Read more»
Is there a chance for dengue reattack in the same season?
Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with dengue towards the end of last month. I was hospitalized for five days. I went through...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Family Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.