Q. Kindly suggest some ayurveda medicine for my anal fistula.

Dr. Arul Amuthan
Published on Mar 07, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 37 year old male. I am facing fistula problem. I have visited a doctor and taking allopathy medicine for the last one year. I would like to go with ayurveda treatment. I am getting a problem with the fistula at least once in a month and if I take allopathy medicine, then it will reduce. Due to my family circumstance, I am not in a position to for surgery as of now. Kindly guide some ayurveda medicine for fistula. I was advised to take the following by a doctor here. Curcumin capsules, tablet Triphala guggul (Vara churna) and Nirgundi oil. Kindly give your guidance.

Dr. Arul Amuthan

Ayurveda Specialist Naturopathy Pharmacology Siddha Medicine Toxicology
#

• A fistula is an ancient disease documented in traditional medicines such as ayurveda and siddha. It is common in Asian countries due to climate and some dietary habits.
  • If possible, you can consult nearby an ayurvedic surgery (Shalya tantra) expert in the ayurvedic surgical procedure. Till you consult such physician, you can follow my suggestion.
  • Consume more curd, buttermilk, and curd rice. Add small onion (it is better than large onion. If you do not get small, then you can use big onion) and cumin in food.
  • Eat more grapes and dry grapes in the night and more fiber-rich vegetables.
  • Capsule Rasagandhi mezhugu - one in the morning and one in the evening after food (curd rice) and tablet Pilewin - one in the morning and one in the evening before food.
  • Curcumin and Triphala guggul are also helpful in some extend. For external application - use Mathan thailam or pure ghee or coconut oil mixed with turmeric powder.

For further information consult an ayurveda specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ayurveda-specialist

| 

Thanks for the reply. My doctor suggested me Kshara Sutra. Is it a good treatment and how much time it take to cure? What is your suggestion regarding the term of treatment? For external application, Mathan thailam or pure ghee or coconut oil mixed with turmeric powder. Will it be effective? Should I use the above oil daily or only after defecation?

Dr. Arul Amuthan

#

My recommendation is Kshara Sutra for a permanent cure. The procedure will take one to three months depending on the extent of fistula. The cure is permanent. But, you need to visit the Ayurvedic surgeon frequently until it is completed. If you are not comfortable, then the second option is drug therapy.

Mathan thailam should be applied after defecation. The cotton is soaked with this oil and kept in the fistula area and then put a plaster. Then wear the dress. Thus, the oil can be applied morning while going out, evening and then at night before sleep. This can heal the fistula. But, there is a recurrence after one or two years. The internal opening of the fistula inside the colon (large intestine) can be cured only by Kshara Sutra. Delaying the therapy leads to multiple fistula or sinus formation, more opening may occur. Thus, early treatment is good.

For further doubts consult an ayurveda specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ayurveda-specialist

| 

Thanks for the answer. I cannot go for Kshara Sutra as of now. How to collect the medicines? How long should I take the medicine and what food should I consume and avoid?

Dr. Arul Amuthan

#

You can continue the drugs for minimum three months and continue for six months. Then you can stop it.

Follow the following dietary practices:

1. Consume more curd, buttermilk, and curd rice.
  2. Small onion, jeera, grapes, dry grapes, yam, colocasia to be added in food or snakes more.
  3. Eat more vegetables with less quantity of rice or roti.
  4. Night dinner can be the papaya fruit - full stomach.
  5. There must be no constipation. Constipation increases fistula. Avoid all foods that can cause constipation. Add banana, papaya, curd, vegetables that definitely relieve constipation.

You can practice yoga to balance pitham. Apply sesame oil on hair. Wait for one hour. Then take bath. This is to be continued every alternate day. This will balance the pitham (excess pitham aggravate fistula).

Regarding drugs, please follow the following drugs:

1. Capsule Rasaganthi mezhugu - one morning and one evening after curd rice food.
  2. tableT Pilewin - one morning and one evening before food.
  3. For external application, Mathan thailam mixed with turmeric powder.

Kindly consult an ayurveda doctor near by, discuss the suggestion and get appropriate treatment.

| 

As of now, I am taking Jathyadi Ghrutha ointment should be applied after each bowel movement and at night before going to bed and Sooranadi Lehya 1 tablespoon with 1/2 tablespoon of Madhusnuhi Rasayana at bedtime for a month. Kindly advise.

Dr. Arul Amuthan

#

The mentioned drugs are good for your condition. Please continue it instead of my prescription. Most of the herbals (ingredients) are same for both the prescriptions. Also, follow the dietary advices mentioned by me. Thank you.

| 

Please suggest ayurvedic treatment for dandruff and hair fall.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 26 year old male. My weight is 58 kg and height is 5'6". My problems are gray hair and hair fall. I have an allergy to dust, perfume, and smoke. Sometimes, I have breathing problem and cough in early morning, I am working in shift. I am suffering with constipation too. My blood su...  Read Full »

I have anal pain even two weeks after a piles surgery. Is it normal?

Query: Hello doctor,I had undergone piles surgery two weeks ago. Still, I have pain in the anal area during bowel movements.  Read Full »

Ask an Ayurveda Specialist Now