Q. I have pain and swelling around the anus while sitting. Do I have piles?

Dr. Sandeep V Nair

I have minor pain around the anus while sitting, and it appears like there is swelling. My mother suffered a lot from the piles issue. So, I am worried that it could be the same. I have the picture attached. Could you please confirm the diagnosis and suggest the next steps for me?

#

I read your complaints. First of all, please understand that piles are not necessarily genetic. The pictures you sent (attachment removed to protect patient identity) show hemorrhoids or in layman's word piles.

It is usually seen in people with a sedentary lifestyle and is associated with constipation. I need to know a few more things.

Is the pain unbearable at any time? Is there pain when you go to the toilet to pass stools? Have you ever noticed blood in the toilet pan? Is there any pus coming from the swelling?

I do not have any constipation, and I am on a healthy diet. I agree with a sedentary lifestyle. I have not been very active for the last six months post-COVID-19.

I started feeling a little pain while sitting just today. And I did not notice the hemorrhoids until today, actually. No pain while passing stools. I did not check for blood in the toilet pan and no pus from the swelling.

#

As of now, you need not worry. What you are having now is small hemorrhoid. It does not require any treatment at present other than fiber.

You can try Cremadiet (Isabghol) powder for fiber. Take one or two scoops in one glass of water at night to attain semisolid stools the next morning. You can increase or decrease the dose of the powder to get the optimum result in your stool. When you pass soft liquidy stools, you will not have to strain during defecation, which will help prevent the piles from increasing in size.

Also, drink about 2.5 liters of water daily. Avoid taking wheat flour (maida) in the diet. And take plenty of salads.

|