Q. What could be the possible reasons for pain in my anal region?

Dr. N. Ashok Viswanath

I am having pain in my anal region for past one month. After passing stools, the pain starts and prolongs the entire day. During night, there is no pain. The presence of blood in stool is negligible. I cannot sit properly, and I cannot drive a bike.

Kindly suggest a solution for the same.

#

Thank you for writing, and I understand your concern.

For a better assessment of your condition, kindly share further information asked below:

1. Do you have pain in the anal region while passing stool?

2. Is your stool (motion) hard to pass?

3. Any previous history of fissure or hemorrhoids (piles)?

4. What kind of diet do you take, veg or nonveg?

5. Any habits, like smoking and alcohol?

6. Any history of blood while passing stools (motion)?

7. How much water do you consume daily?

8. Do your symptoms worsen during the winter season and after consumption of food like bread?

9. Any previous medical or surgical history?

10. What is your nature of occupation?

Kindly reply, so that we can help you better.

Thank you for the reply.

I am a software engineer by profession. I do have pain in the anal region while passing stools. Sometimes I feel difficulty in passing stools. I do not have any previous history of fissure or hemorrhoids (piles). My diet includes both veg and non-veg. I do not drink or smoke. I have a history of presence of blood while passing stools. I consume two liters of water approximately. The issue started only one month back, so I do not have any prior experience during the winter season. I have no previous surgical or medical history.

I hope you find the reply useful.

#

Thank you for the reply.

By evaluating the symptoms, it could probably be a fissure in the anus or hemorrhoids. Clinical, physical, and visual examination is necessary for a conclusive diagnosis. These problems usually arise due to prolonged sitting, inadequate hydration, improper bowel habits, and bad food history. I suggest you follow the measures given below:

1. Avoid food like wheat bread, milk, and non-veg foods, which can make your stool become hard for months.
  2. Drink lots of water - At least 3 liters per day.
  3. Include lots of fruits and fresh juice in the diet.
  4. Take a big tub, fill it with warm water, pour 10 ml of 10% Povidone-Iodine solution into the warm water, and sit in it for 15 minutes twice a day. Follow this for seven days.
  5. Avoid spicy food.
  6. Avoid coffee.
  7. Local application of cream like Proctosedyl BD (Phenylephrine, Beclometasone, and Lidocaine) can be applied externally on the anal region thrice a day and before passing stools (motion) for a week.
  8. Taking stool softener like Lactulose (Duphalac) can help avoid constipation and make stool soft to pass. You can take 10 ml in the night after food for a week.
  9. Do not exert too much pressure while passing stool.

I will advise for a consultation with a general surgery specialist near your house to examine you and provide you with a conclusive diagnosis. Clinical, physical, and visual examinations are necessary to come to a conclusive diagnosis.

Hope my advice will help you. Take good rest. Keep yourself hydrated.

|