Q. I have receding hairline after using Rogaine. Can I stop using it?

This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 02, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 22 year old man who has been using Rogaine for a week. Then I have read a lot of terrifying forums about initial shedding etc. I want to stop it immediately, but have my hair become dependent? If I stop now, will my hair regrow that have been lost because of Rogaine?

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

• At what concentration are you using Rogaine (Minoxidil)?
  • Please do send me the good quality photographs of your problem.

Revert back with the photographs to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 

Thank you for the answer.

I am using 5 percentage Rogaine. I only have slight problems with receding hairline, and that is why I started using it. I have been using it once a week, but I regret starting. Can I just stop?

#

• Yes, you can stop without any problem.
  • The phenomenon you are telling is known as immediate telogen release and is due to conversion of telogen stage into anagen hair stage.
  • Nevertheless you do not have any other FDA approved medicine except this and Finasteride for androgenetic alopecia (male pattern baldness).
  • Once you started using it, it is meant for whole life use. I suppose your doctor should have told you about this.
  • It is quite safe to use and after 3 month you can see new hair coming and they will persist as long as you are using it.

For further doubts and clarifications consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 

Thank you for your response. I have just read about a lot of people claiming that they shed a lot and never got those hairs back. Can this happen? And why is it that Minoxidil does not work on frontal baldness?

#

• No, if you are applying it properly then the hair will come back. 1 ml twice daily over affected area is the usual dose.
  • The only problem is that, the hair will last as long as you are applying Minoxidil and the same stands for Finasteride also.
  • As I already mentioned in my last reply that it is only of few medications that have been approved by FDA for this purpose.
  • The results are quite good if you can be consistent with the medication.
  • In fact it works on frontal and temporal baldness. It will not work on occipital baldness because of absence of receptors in occipital area that is why occipital hair are last to lose in androgenic alopecia.
  • Although response depends on the grade of alopecia that is, if there is permanent atrophy of hair follicle then it would not be possible to regrow the hair but it usually does not occur till very late stages so it is quite effective.
  • It is the primary and safest line of medication for androgenic alopecia. So, I think you should go for it.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|