Q. What do you think could be causing my hair loss?

Dr. Deepti Shukla

Please take a look at the photos of my hair. What do you think could be causing my hair loss?

#

Do not worry. I will help you with your concern.

I went through your photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and I guess these are dermoscopic photos. The most likely diagnosis of your thinning hair is male pattern hair loss, also known as androgenetic alopecia.

• Please mention your age.
  • Do you notice your hairline receding?
  • Since when are you facing hair loss?

Please revert with a photo of the scalp from front and top and answers to my questions so I can assess adequately and confirm the diagnosis to suggest proper treatment.

Thanks and regards.

Thank you. My trichologist thinks it may be telogen effluvium, as there are a lot of dormant follicles. Is it true?

#

I saw a lot of thin hair, which indicates androgenetic alopecia. In telogen effluvium, hair thinning is not much, but mainly hair fall occurs.

So I would still suggest it is androgenetic alopecia.

Thanks.

Thank you, doctor.

One last question about my thin hair. I suspected this as well, so I took Dutasteride (Avodart) and had pain and pressure on the right side of my head and temple for two days now. I think it may be my sinuses. Is this a cause for concern?

#

Headache is not a common side effect of Dutasteride. It rarely occurs in a few patients, but none of my patients ever complained about the problem with Dutasteride. I do not think it is related to Dutasteride. If you have sinusitis, then that might be the cause of headaches in your case. You can safely continue Dutasteride as it works wonder for androgenetic alopecia. Happy to help you. If you have further queries regarding treatment, feel free to ask.

|