Q. I had an on and off fever and have anemia. How to treat this?

Dr. Kks
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I had an on and off fever for four days and had anemia in the past. And I am currently taking Vitamin C, E, and folic acid.

#

Thanks for reaching out to us. I saw your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I hope you got your COVID-19 checked, and it is negative. Regarding your blood reports, I can see that you have mild anemia, which is not very significant. Many females do have this much due to menstruation-related losses. I would get an iron profile checked (no rush, but whenever your acute issues are settled and there is no risk to expose to COVID-19). If it shows anemia related to iron deficiency, you can take iron supplementation.

Another thing to note is low MVC (mean corpuscular volume) close to 66, which is also to be observed. Suppose you continue to run low on this parameter. In that case, we might need to check an HPLC (high-performance liquid chromatography) testing on you, which again is a blood test for thalassemia (even if you end up having positive for that, there is no risk to you as you are 30 years now and you would be having only minor version only if at you have that). Do not worry about the reactive lymphocytes in the peripheral blood- it will go away in a while.

Please let me know if this helps you.

| 

My platelet is high with 4 gm hemoglobin. What is my problem?

Query: Hello doctor, My platelet count was 974, hemoglobin was 4, sedimentation rate was >140, and iron was 7 with a saturation of 1%. I went to the doctor because I lost vision in one eye for about an hour. They have done and MRI, and EKG both normal. Two units of blood and iron transfusions started...  Read Full »

Can you see the attached CBC report, and let me know if there is anything serious ?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife's iron and ferritin were low, so the doctor ordered CBC. CBC showed low WBC, high monocytes, and high RBC, which is what made us scared. She has schistocytes and elliptocytes among other RBC morphologies. We read about it and are very worried, and she had a C-section three years...  Read Full »

I have anemia with low ferritin level. Can it be cured with diet and supplements?

Query: Hello doctor, My age is 27 years and I am a female. I have anemia with a very low ferritin level 2.1 and HB is 6.5. Can it be cleared by taking diet and iron supplements? Which is a good time to take Zincofer syrup, how much ml? Please advice.  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask a Hematologist Now