Q. I had an on and off fever and have anemia. How to treat this?

Dr. Kamal Kant Sahu
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I had an on and off fever for four days and had anemia in the past. And I am currently taking Vitamin C, E, and folic acid.

#

Thanks for reaching out to us. I saw your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I hope you got your COVID-19 checked, and it is negative. Regarding your blood reports, I can see that you have mild anemia, which is not very significant. Many females do have this much due to menstruation-related losses. I would get an iron profile checked (no rush, but whenever your acute issues are settled and there is no risk to expose to COVID-19). If it shows anemia related to iron deficiency, you can take iron supplementation.

Another thing to note is low MVC (mean corpuscular volume) close to 66, which is also to be observed. Suppose you continue to run low on this parameter. In that case, we might need to check an HPLC (high-performance liquid chromatography) testing on you, which again is a blood test for thalassemia (even if you end up having positive for that, there is no risk to you as you are 30 years now and you would be having only minor version only if at you have that). Do not worry about the reactive lymphocytes in the peripheral blood- it will go away in a while.

Please let me know if this helps you.

|