Anesthesia Side Effect

How do Adderall and anesthesia interact?

Query: Hi doctor,My female friend, who is 28 years old, is on Adderall for ADD and scheduled for hip surgery. Should she stop Adderall before surgery? Is there adverse interaction with anesthesia and Adderall. She had a long-term (eight months) adverse reaction to general anesthesia after surgery on the ot...  Read Full »

Dr. Amandeep Singh Sachdeva

Anesthesiologist, Pain Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your friend need not stop Adderall (combination of Amphetamine and Dextroamphetamine) to get anesthesia. Secondly, the only side effect that may happen is resistant hypotension due to catecholamines depletion. That can be taken care of by the anesthetist. Postoperative ...  Read Full »

Why did my heart rate drop to 32 after a knee replacement surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, I was in the recovery room after undergoing total knee replacement (TKR), and my heart rate dropped to 38. I felt weak and tired, so the nurse added something to my IV, and I felt fine, and all vitals returned to normal. They took me to my room, and I ate and was resting. My heart rate d...  Read Full »

Dr. Isaac Gana

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through all your explanations in detail. The closest possibility to the cause of your problem is most likely due to the effect of anesthesia. I have seen a few cases similar to this where post-operation there is a severe case of bradycardia without any evidenc...  Read Full »

What does it mean when there is back pain, arm stiffness, and grip loss?

Query: Hello doctor,My daughter has been experiencing severe back pain, arm stiffness with grip loss, shooting pains down legs when the heel is put to floor and vision blurring when sitting in the car for long periods, for over two years following spinal anesthesia for C-section. MRI scans show nothing and...  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern and would explain that her symptoms (especially the grip loss in her arms and blurring vision) are not related to a lumbar spine disorder. A brain disorder (intracranial hypotension) or a cervical myelopathy could explain some of her sympto...  Read Full »

What is the reason for difficulty in mouth opening after wisdom tooth removal?

Query: Hi doctor, Eight days ago, my top right wisdom tooth was removed. Now, I am struggling to open my mouth or jaw. I can talk, but eating is difficult. When I went back to the dentist, he said there was a little hole in the extraction site and filled it with a paste. He also gave me antibiotics. The pa...  Read Full »

Dr. Purva Jingar

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There may be a problem with the socket itself, which has not healed properly. If you cannot eat, then it is not a good sign. You need to ask your doctor to take an x-ray of the socket once. Also, there may be chances that the anesthesia is still working in the mouth ...  Read Full »