Q. I have to get a uterine septum removed. Which anesthesia is safer?

Dr. Kiran Kumar Kolla Gopalkrishna
This is a premium question & answer published on May 18, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 18, 2021

I am a 38 year old female, who weighs 200 lbs and I am 5.4 feet tall. I have to get a uterine septum removed, and I am terrified of going under general anesthesia. I never had any surgeries in the past. My cholesterol levels are slightly raised, and I have Raynaud's disease. I get panic attacks, and I am very anxious about getting my surgery done under anesthesia. It is a very hard to choose general or sedative or spinal anesthesia. I do not know which is safer for me.

#

I have read your query in detail. Please be free of tension.

• I understand your concerns, but there is no need to panic. Your anesthetist will do a pre-anesthesia workup before the scheduled surgery. ECG (electrocardiography) and echocardiogram are needed as you are obese
  • I suggest opting for general anesthesia, as we have fast-acting medications and short-acting medications with precise action. Spinal anesthesia is the second choice.
  • If the airway is clear and if there are no changes in the ECG, then general anesthesia is the best.

For more information consult an anesthesiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/anesthesiologist

|