Q. What causes a constant, stabbing type of pain in the chest region?

Dr. Isaac Gana

My brother has been having mild stabbing pain in the chest region for 20 days now. The pain is constant, and sometimes the intensity is powerful, as if the heart was so heavy that it would fall. Because of so much pain, he asked me to take him to the emergency room. In the end, after many tests, they found no explanation for such pain, as his heart seems to be fine and has two arteries blocked with calcium. I have attached his reports.

Kindly give your opinion on what this could be.

Thanks.

#

I have seen his reports (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity). Calcium buildup in the arteries can lead to atherosclerosis. This, in turn, can predispose him to a heart attack. The level of his triglycerides and cholesterol, along with his weight, puts him at a high risk of cardiovascular diseases. He probably has Angina.

1) What tests were carried out at the hospital?

2) Do you know the medications that were given to him?

Thanks.

Thank you so much for the response.

He was given prescribed for doses of Aspirin and an injection, but I do not know what exactly was in that injection. I would just want to know what would you suggest to prevent a heart attack?

Thanks.

#

His symptoms and history indicate that he has an increased chance of a cardiovascular event. It is advisable to take Statin and blood thinner. Before that, I have to know if he is hypertensive? Is the blood pressure under control?

Thanks for the reply.

He was told that his blood pressure was a little high and was under medication to control it. We gave him tablet Aspirin tonight, which I believe is to help with thinning the blood.

Thanks.

#

I advise him to take tablet Clopidogrel 75 mg daily and tablet Atorvastatin 20 mg daily till he sees the cardiologist. You can buy this over the counter. I believe he will be just fine.

Thanks.

|