Q. Can there be on and off chest pain after angioplasty?

Dr. Muhammad Majid Hanif

One of my uncle had heart attack. He was hospitalized later and treated with angioplasty. He was stable at hospital and discharged last month. But, it seems he has pain in the middle of the chest. It just comes and goes. Is this pain common after the angioplasty? If so, how long it prevails?

#

I have thoroughly gone through your case and can well understand your genuine health concerns.

• This type of pain has two elements. Physical, due to cardiac intervention in angioplasty and psychologic that is after having a heart attack, patient gets fear of dying.
  • When a person gets a heart attack (MI) there is increased sensitivity towards pain feelings and fear of dying. So, it is needed to counsel the patient in this regard.
  • Now as he has survived a heart attack, this is normal for him to have this pain especially after angioplasty. It will soon be over and you need to counsel him to bear and wait as this is all normal.
  • You also need to take him to the cardiologist for post-operative follow up to see the stent position and check its successful placement.

For further information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

|