Q. Is getting touched by puppy's teeth without any wound or bleeding infectious?

Dr. Diwanshu
Published on Jan 14, 2019

A 45-day-old street puppy's teeth touched my finger yesterday but there was no bleeding. Puppy is also fine. What should I do? Please advise me.

Dr. Diwanshu

General Practitioner Pharmacology
#

Just tell me whether the puppy's teeth just touched your finger or you got wound also? In case, you just got a touch, then nothing to do but in case, you got a wound then keep the wound clean. Keep a check on the dog also. Meet nearby doctor in case you have a wound. A person who is exposed and has never been vaccinated against rabies should get four doses of rabies vaccine: one dose right away, and additional doses on the third, seventh, and 14th days. They should also get another shot called rabies immune globulin at the same time as the first dose. Let me know as soon as possible.

Snakebite - First Aid, Treatment, and Precautions

Article Overview: There are thousands of species of snakes and only a small percent of them are venomous. That is the sole reason why some people survive snake bites without taking antisera. Let us see what are the first aids and active management of a snake bite are. Read Article

Dr. Vishnu K R
Preventive Medicine Physician

Snakes are deadly when they are venomous. They produce venom and consciously inject into the target to kill or immobilize them. Poisonous animals on the other hand, are dangerous by all means, sometimes even by mere touch. So snakes are not that fatal after all, but ruling out the fatal factors are ...  Read Article

I took antirabies vaccine only 13 days after a shrew mouse bite. Am I at risk?

Query: Hello doctor,I had taken two antirabies shots ten and three months back for a dog bite. A shrew that had entered the house bit me on my back two weeks back. There was no bleeding even on applying pressure on the area, but the next day I noticed a small clot on my back like the one we have after a sc...  Read Full >>

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Rabies vaccination should ideally be started on day 0. But, you have not developed any symptoms. So, it is not late to start vaccination now. You should complete the five-injection rabies schedule. Since it was a category-2 exposure, the immunoglobulin is not requ...  Read Full

Vaccinated dog bite my daughter. Is anti-rabies vaccine needed?

Query: Dear Doctor, My daughter is 5 years old. A vaccinated dog scratched her right hand with its teeth. There is no skin damage but deep red mark is visible. Is anti-rabies vaccine optional or compulsory for her?  Read Full >>

Dr. E Venkata Ramana
Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Thank you for your query on icliniq.com. Let me explain the seriousness of the deep red marks simply : Visible deep red marks could mean a very small wound but it is still a large door for rabies virus to enter. If rabies has once developed, then it has no treatment. Prevention by anti-rabie...  Read Full

Ask a General Practitioner Now