Q. What precautions should be taken for dog bite?

Published on Aug 01, 2018

I have been bitten by a dog which is regularly vaccinated. So, what precautions should I take? Can you please let me know the diet for food or something else, please.

Hematology Pathology
#

I have reviewed your query and here is my advise. You have been bitten by a dog, so tetanus toxoid and rabies vaccine can be taken for that to prevent tetanus and rabies. But as you said if you are sure that dog is fully immunized with rabies then no need to take the vaccine. No dietary restriction needed. You can eat everything. If a wound is present because of the dog bite then it should be kept clean by a regular dressing.

For more information consult a family physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

Being vaccinated, is it fine to get 2 doses of rabies vaccine now for dog bite?

Query: Hi doctor, I had 5 doses of rabies vaccine along with rabies immunoglobulin before two years. A month later again, I was bitten by a dog and took three doses of rabies vaccine. Then after a year when I was bitten by a dog, I had two doses of vaccine. Now, again, I was bitten by a stray dog and took ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The antirabies vaccine is usually protective for two years and the antibodies from first dose would have been at a protective level for you. This does not mean that the antibodies will go down after two years, but it only might go down. However, since you took two doses l...  Read Full

My brother has got a swelling in the snake bite area. Please advise.

Query: Hi doctor,My brother got a snake bite in his right-hand middle finger. He has taken three antivenom doses and was under observation for two days. After six days of snake bite and treating it from medication, he has got swelling in snake bite area (right-hand middle finger). He is facing anxiety and ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Hafiz Muhammad Hassan Shoukat

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would suggest taking an advice from the doctor about getting steroids and anti-histamine. It may be a localized reaction to anti-venom or maybe sequelae of snake bite or another possibility. It may be an infection that can be controlled with antibiotics, make sure he ...  Read Full

Vaccinated dog bite my daughter. Is anti-rabies vaccine needed?

Query: Dear Doctor, My daughter is 5 years old. A vaccinated dog scratched her right hand with its teeth. There is no skin damage but deep red mark is visible. Is anti-rabies vaccine optional or compulsory for her?  Read Full >>

Dr. E Venkata Ramana
Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Thank you for your query on icliniq.com. Let me explain the seriousness of the deep red marks simply : Visible deep red marks could mean a very small wound but it is still a large door for rabies virus to enter. If rabies has once developed, then it has no treatment. Prevention by anti-rabie...  Read Full

Ask a Family Physician Now