Q. Do I need crutches for grade 1 ankle sprain?

Dr. Atul Prakash
Published on Aug 16, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 25, 2019

I had a basketball game, and someone landed on my leg. Now, I have a grade one sprained ankle. I have a basketball game next week. I want to play, and I am wondering whether my ankle will heal soon? Or if I want to play, should I need to use crutches for a bit? Currently, I am taking tablet Melatonin, Concreta, and Lovan.

Dr. Atul Prakash

Fitness Expert Orthopedics And Traumatology Physiotherapy Spine Health
#

Crutches are advised if you cannot be able to beat the weight. If it is the case, then you will be having more than a grade 1 sprain. I will advise you walk without crutches, ice the area, elevate and use a compression bandage. Also, take anti-inflammatory tablets.

For more information consult a physiotherapist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/physiotherapist

Why are my medial malleolus and calcaneus swollen?

Query: Hello doctor,My medial malleolus and calcaneus are swelled. Please help.  Read Full >>

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The common cause of swelling in the area of medial malleoli are ankle sprain and strain. Gout needs to be investigated with the help of serum uric acid and by having an X-ray. I suggest you apply Crepe Bandages and take Naprosyn (Naproxen) 500 mg twice daily. C...  Read Full

I have pain in foot after ankle injury making it difficult to run. What is the reason?

Query: Hello doctor, I injured my ankle three weeks ago and there is a pain somewhere behind the foot. I am able to walk and jog slowly but not able to run. So what might be the reason behind this pain and what should I do to start running again?  Read Full >>

Dr. Sreenivasa Rao
Physiotherapist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your concern. In my opinion, it could be an improperly healed ankle sprain. Nothing to worry. I recommend you to kindly do a lot of icing frequently on your ankle. Keep stretching your calf muscles. Roll a tennis ball under your calf muscles. Do not force your...  Read Full

What is the treatment for facet hypertrophy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 28 years old and suffering from facet hypertrophy. I have continuous lower back pain. I cannot stand for more than five minutes. I am taking Nuroday daily. I would like to know the treatment.  Read Full >>

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have mentioned that you are 28 years of age and have continuous lower back pain which I think is not responding to the medications and conservative management. Normally at this age, conservative management in the form of anti-inflammatory medications, intensive phy...  Read Full

Ask a Physiotherapist Now