Q. Do I need crutches for grade 1 ankle sprain?

Dr. Atul Prakash
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 16, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 25, 2019

I had a basketball game, and someone landed on my leg. Now, I have a grade one sprained ankle. I have a basketball game next week. I want to play, and I am wondering whether my ankle will heal soon? Or if I want to play, should I need to use crutches for a bit? Currently, I am taking tablet Melatonin, Concreta, and Lovan.

Dr. Atul Prakash

Fitness Expert Orthopedics And Traumatology Physiotherapy Spine Health
#

Crutches are advised if you cannot be able to beat the weight. If it is the case, then you will be having more than a grade 1 sprain. I will advise you walk without crutches, ice the area, elevate and use a compression bandage. Also, take anti-inflammatory tablets.

For more information consult a physiotherapist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/physiotherapist

| 

Why are my medial malleolus and calcaneus swollen?

Query: Hello doctor,My medial malleolus and calcaneus are swelled. Please help.  Read Full »

I have pain in foot after ankle injury making it difficult to run. What is the reason?

Query: Hello doctor, I injured my ankle three weeks ago and there is a pain somewhere behind the foot. I am able to walk and jog slowly but not able to run. So what might be the reason behind this pain and what should I do to start running again?  Read Full »

How is facet hypertrophy treated?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 28 years old and suffering from facet hypertrophy. I have continuous lower back pain. I cannot stand for more than five minutes. I am taking Nuroday daily. I would like to know the treatment.  Read Full »

Ask a Physiotherapist Now