Q. How to reduce the pain due to ankle sprain?

Dr. Mahaveer Patil
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 28, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 11, 2020

I have chronic ankle sprains in both the ankles. I have this for maybe a year now. I went to PT and have been doing exercises. But, about a week ago, my ankle began to pop. It is happening once in a while. It really hurts and I have to pause for a couple minutes for the pain to settle. Is this normal? Is there a way for me to prevent or calm this pain? I am taking Zoloft and Ibuprofen when needed. Please help.

#

Hope this message finds you in good health. I have gone through your complaints and understand your concern.

• I generally see many cases like this in my clinic. I give them a splint, rest, analgesics, anti-inflammatory tablets and ice pack till the swelling reduces to some extent. Then we get an x-ray and if necessary an MRI done to find out the exact cause.
  • From the history you have mentioned, it seems that you have very weak ankles in particular or all the ligaments in general.
  • Such recurrent sprains occur either due to some old untreated childhood injury or weak ligaments or muscles around the joint.
  • I suggest you should get an x-ray or MRI to find out the reason. To prevent yourself from getting recurrent sprains, you should see a good physiotherapist and do the ankle strengthening exercises.
  • You should eventually get back to normal in a few weeks. Nothing to worry about. Do get back to me after your reports are ready.

For further information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

|