Q. My grade 3 sprained ankle is paining extremely, and I am unable to bear weight. Why?

Dr. Ranjeet Singha, Pt

I have a grade 3 sprained ankle. Im male, 5"9, 160lbs. I had severe swelling to the size of a softball the first day, aswell as bruising that started to appear overnight. On day 4 I went to the doctor and got xrays. The doctor determined it was a grade 3 sprain but gave me a projected recovery time of 3-6 weeks which is the recovery time for a grade 2 sprain. Currently I am still unable to bear any weight but swelling is down drastically , bruising is the same, and now if my foot is not elevated, i suffer extreme pain that causes me to often collapse to the floor. If anyone knows why this is happening and if it will heal with the rest of my injury it would be much apreciated.

#

Dear, thank you for your query.

As per the information provided by you I would suggest you to follow PRICE protocol that is protection,rest,ice,compression and elevation.Also I would suggest you to wear ankle support/brace or tapping the ankle to provide more stability and thus accelerate healing.Also try to move the foot within the brace gradually without stressing much.Avoid weight bearing on the affected foot.Also I would suggest if you do not feel improvement within week kindly meet orthopedic surgeon or physiotherapist.

Hope I was able to suggest few helpful information to accelerate your healing. Regards

|