iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersCardiologyanti anxiety drugsWhy do I feel anxious over the past month?

I feel uneasy and nervous. Is something wrong with my heart?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

Dr. K. Shobana

Published At October 29, 2017
Reviewed AtJune 8, 2023

Patient's Query

I am a 34 year old female. I have been having terrible anxiety the past month. I wake up feeling very uneasy and nervous. Almost shaky. I also feel like I literally cannot breathe. I have to take deep breaths constantly. I went to an urgent care and they tested for a blood clot in the lungs, but I was cleared. My doctor put me on Lexapro two months ago and I stopped taking it. But then the anxiety got so bad that I started again on it two weeks ago. My fear is that there is something wrong with my heart. I have had this before and chest pain. So, I have been to two different cardiologists. We did stress tests and echoes. I am afraid these doctors are blowing me off because I am active. Please advise.

I understand your concern, but stopping the anxiety medicines abruptly and not taking the drugs regularly is an adverse event that aggravates the situation. Anxiety symptoms get worse if we suddenly stop taking the medications especially Lexapro (Escitalopram). Lexapro takes time to kick in (once you start taking it). It works to create a balance of certain chemicals in your brain and if you have to stop it, you have to consult the treating physician who will tell you how to taper it off before coming to a complete stop. Now as you have started it back, it will hopefully take some time to kick back in and you just need to be consistent with it unless asked otherwise by your physician to stop taking it. Thanks for uploading the supporting documents (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I reviewed them and want to add that this is all that we expect from a normal heart. Your Holter monitor gives perfectly fine readings. The stress echo and other aspects of your heart's evaluation are all perfectly fine. Your heart is working as normal as it should. In short, congratulations, your heart is perfectly fine and working the way it is supposed to at this age. You just need to keep an eye on your lifestyle and make yourself busy in achieving life goals. Keep a naturally balanced diet and exercise on daily basis. Follow up with your physician and of course, you may consult me back anytime you need. I would be happy to assist. Hope it helps. Regards.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Muhammad Majid Hanif
Dr. Muhammad Majid Hanif

Cardiology

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Cardiology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy