Anti-tpo Antibodies

I am pregnant and my anti-TPO antibodies is 278. What does this mean?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 28 years old. I got pregnant three months back. At 1.5 months, I went for a regular check-up. Everything came normal except for my TSH level, which came out to be 5.57. I have not gone for thyroid test before. Doctor gave me 50 mg Thyronorm to be taken daily as she termed it hypoth...  Read Full »

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pain Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Elevated levels of anti-TPO antibodies indicate you have autoimmune thyroiditis. Do not worry about these terminologies, what it shows is you may have the disease even after the delivery. But that does not mean that you need to take medications life long. It can beco...  Read Full »

Should I stop taking thyroid medication forever or just during breastfeeding?

Query: Hi doctor, One and a half year back, I was diagnosed with thyroid with the TSH value of around 7.24. I was advised to take Thyronorm 25 mcg daily. I had delivered a baby before two months. I did TSH at that time and the reading was 0.08. Then I stopped the medication as per doctor's advice. On repe...  Read Full »

Dr. Swaraj S W

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. My advice is, as of now stop the medication. After six weeks, do a TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) and anti-TPO (anti-thyroid peroxidase antibodies) test on an empty stomach. If anti-TPO is positive, you may require treatment later.  Read Full »

Thyroid is in a state of euthyroid. How is my prognosis?

Query: Hello doctor, The level of anti-TPO antibodies is 492. The doctors say it is a state of euthyroid. I am worried about my prognosis. I am a medical student, can I still become a surgeon?  Read Full »

Dr. Vandana Andrews

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Going by the details you have provided you have euthyroid. This means that you do have normal TSH with normal T4 and T3. The most common cause is autoimmune thyroid disease, which is confirmed by positive anti-TPO (anti-Thyroid Peroxidase) antibodies. Positive anti-TPO...  Read Full »

My recent reports showed high levels of TSH and cholesterol. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, I recently got a full body check-up done, and I discovered that I have several deficiencies, which include vitamin D, Vitamin B12, iron, and folic acid. Also, my TSH and cholesterol levels are high. I do not like nonvegetarian food and milk. Is it fine if I start Nutrilite D and Nutrilite...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen your test reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You can take these multivitamin supplements. Your TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) is mildly elevated, it does not need any treatment if it is below 10, unless you are pregnant or planning...  Read Full »

What should I do to get a normal TSH level?

Query: Hi doctor, Last year, when I checked my thyroid profile my T3 and T4 were in normal range. But, my TSH level was greater than 150 (normal range 0.35 - 5.50). My doctor prescribed me 100 mg Eltroxin. After three months, my T3 181.7 (normal range 60 -180) and T4 15.2 (normal range 4.50 - 12.60). T3 an...  Read Full »

Dr. Deep Dutta

Endocrinologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please ensure that you take medicines daily in the empty stomach, at least 1 hour before any food. If you miss your thyroid medicine today, you can take two tablets tomorrow to ensure that you take 30 tablets in 30 days of the month. Even missing 1 or 2 doses in a month w...  Read Full »

My TSH level is 5.440. Do I have thyroid problem?

Query: Hello doctor,My TSH level is 5.440, whereas T3 and T4 are normal, that is, 1.16 and 7.25, respectively. Do I have thyroid problem? If yes, what treatment should I take? I have diabetes for the last 30 years and taking Insulin 16 morning, 12 evening and one tablet morning and a half tablet of Metform...  Read Full »

Dr. Y Siva Roja

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have reviewed your query. After reviewing your report (attachment removed to protect patient identity), if you do not have any symptoms of hypothyroidism like dry skin, hair loss, cold intolerance, weight gain, loss of appetite, or bradycardia, you can be diagnosed...  Read Full »

I have irregular bleeding and hair loss. Please suggest a remedy.

Query: Hello doctor, I consulted a gynecologist for irregular bleeding since two months and hair loss. The following actions made by me is mentioned chronologically.I went to a gynecologist and she suggested TSH blood test and ultrasound scan. The TSH reading was 5.8 and the scanning report is normal. Th...  Read Full »

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query and your detailed information about yourself. From what you have mentioned, it appears that you did have a slightly high TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) but that does not mean that you have to take thyroid medications. It is not recommended to ...  Read Full »

I am worried about my ANA report. Please guide me.

Query: Hi doctor, I have had a positive ANA for at least 12 years with no other positive tests for autoimmune disease. My other symptoms are fatigue and some joint pain in hands and knees. Recently, I had a positive ANA of 1:640 speckled pattern with a note saying dense fine speckled pattern is noted. DN...  Read Full »

Dr. Kusumakar Srivastava

Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are fine. Please do not worry as nearly all your reports are fine (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and you are taking correct medicines also. As per your ANA (antinuclear antibody) with dense speckled patters is noted, I must say that there are many fa...  Read Full »

Does my daughter's thyroid level warrant a follow up?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 17 years now. We took her to ER for joint pain. Her joint pain started in the lower back three days ago and within a day, it was in all of her joints. But, there is no rash and fever. Two doctors saw her in the ER said that she needs further testing apart from laboratory te...  Read Full »

Dr. Swaraj S W

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The viral infection she might have caught from her school and there is no need to worry. Usually, that is self-limiting. We adapt the policy of wait and watch unless there are no complications and I think there are none. With respect to thyroid, I suggest you do not panic...  Read Full »

Is it normal to have fluctuating thyroid level after delivery?

Query: Hi doctor, I had postpartum thyroiditis with my first child and it presented again with second child at 7 months postpartum. I am dealing with anxiety, higher than normal heart rate, fatigue and trouble sleeping. During previous PPT, I could not tolerate medicines and it resolved when my child was 1...  Read Full »

Dr. Swaraj S W

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The duration of the cycle that is normal is 23 to 35 days. So, anything in between these days is actually normal. After delivery, cycles tend to be irregular for a year or so and hence, no medicines are required during this period. Your thyroid-stimulating hormone is nor...  Read Full »