Q. Since the time I took antibiotics four years back, I am having stomach issues. What to do?

Dr. Rajesh Bansari
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 28, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 26, 2021

I am having stomach issues for four years now. Recently, I was taking antibiotics for the tooth abscess. I was taking Augmentin, Clindamycin, Motrin, and Tylenol as suggested by my dentist. After taking it, I started to have some stomach issues. I am going to bathroom often. I have pressure in my stomach while going to bathroom. Occasionally, I have some mucus in my stool. Recently, I had nausea, bloating or cramping, and smelly gas. I have done various blood tests. I tried taking probiotics and Rifaximin. Currently, I am taking Viberzi. I feel a bit constipated or tired or bloated after taking it. So I reduced its dosage to one pill instead of taking two. It seems that my metabolism has got shifted after taking antibiotics and I gained some weight faster. I am struggling to keep my weight down after making some changes in my diet and lifestyle. Please help.

#

I understand your concern. After taking antibiotics, your gut bacterial composition has got changed and so it has started to cause some troubles in you. Weight gain is also seen. You have tried taking many medicines and finally, Viberzi has shown you some results. It is happy to hear that you got some control. Weight gain and metabolic shift are normally seen after taking some medicines. To restore your gut bacterial composition, you need to go for natural selection. You should avoid taking junk foods and bakery products. Take a lot of yogurt and fruits. Increase your intake of vegetables. Avoid drinking alcohol. Continue doing exercise and remain active. These steps will really help you. But it takes some time to show you good results. Have a follow-up after a week.

|