Antibiotics For Infants

What causes recurrent fever with raised ESR in a 10-month-old baby?

Query: Hello doctor, My baby boy is 10 months old. He weighs about 10 kg and his height is 77 cm. His blood test shows: WBC 11.28. RBC 7.70. HGB 9.9. HCT 31,5 %. MCV 67 FL. MCH 21.1 MCHC 31.4 Platelets 402 Lymphocytes 68.2 % Monocytes 4.1 % Eosinophils % 2.9 Basophils% 0.4 Neu...  Read Full »

Dr. Rakesh Radheshyam Gupta

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician, Pediatric Allergy Asthma Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have not mentioned any symptoms. Please send details. Your CBC (complete blood count) report is showing some infection. It could be mostly viral.  Read Full »

Is it necessary to hospitalize a small kid for bacteria in urine?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 1 year and 7 months old. He is very tired and does not eat food. I went to the hospital and checked all his blood and urine tests. His CRP is positive and bacteria present in urine. Is this result dangerous? Doctor advised admission in the hospital and take antibiotics. What i...  Read Full »

Dr. Med, Özlem Karabuda

Paediatrician, Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Urinary tract infection especially in boys is an important health issue. The infection should be treated with appropriate antibiotics immediately after taking a urine culture. This should be done because sometimes the antibiotic chosen does not work very well. But w...  Read Full »

Please suggest ways to control loose motions in a baby.

Query: Hello doctor, I have a 1 month old boy baby, his mother died during the delivery. We feed him cow's milk, but he is having loose motions. How to control the loose motions?  Read Full »

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Specialist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Medical Gastroenterologist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is so sad to hear about his mom. First, we need to clarify whether he has diarrhea, because sometimes, increased frequency of stools due to gastrocolic reflex may be considered as diarrhea. If he has diarrhea, then we need to look at the causes, for example, infecti...  Read Full »

Can antibiotics be given to a 3.5 month old baby for cough?

Query: Hi doctor, My 3.5 month old baby is suffering from slight cold and cough for the past 15 days. The doctor suggested antibiotic syrup 3 ml twice daily. Xpect PD cough syrup 2.5 ml twice daily and Sinarest AF 10 drop twice daily. His weight is 7 kg now. When I am trying to give him cough syrup he is ...  Read Full »

Dr. Lalit Bansal

Paediatrician, Neurologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. For infants with cough and cold, antibiotics are fine to give. As per AAP (American Academy of Pediatrics) guidelines, Sinarest (combination of Chlorpheniramine maleate, Phenylephrine hydrochloride, Sodium citrate, and Menthol) and cough syrup are not indicated in this...  Read Full »

Why is my baby having fever every 10 days for the last two months?

Query: Hello doctor,My son (aged 8 months, weighing 8.5 kg) is suffering from fever frequently once in 10 days for last two months. We have got urine (culture and routine) and blood tests (CBC, CRP, IgE total) done for my son. The urine report is normal. However, as per the blood report, there is some infe...  Read Full »

Dr. Prashant Kumar Singh

Child Health Specialist, Family Physician, Paediatrician, Pediatric Allergy Asthma Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per the blood investigations, you have shared (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it suggests that there is some bacterial infection in the blood. I suggest you start a course of antibiotics for your child at least for five days, preferably Amoxycla...  Read Full »

Is it safe to give Meftal-P and Ambrocof-LS to my infant to cure fever and cough?

Query: Hello doctor, My baby is just 32 days old. He is having some cough and cold symptoms. I had a visit to the local physician and was advised to give him Meftal-P, Cefpodoxime Proxetil suspension IP and Ambrocof-LS drops. Please suggest if these medicines are safe?  Read Full »

Dr. Amit Modi

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Meftal-P is Mefenamic Acid used as an antipyretic to bring down the fever. While Cefpodoxime is a third generation Cephalosporin antibiotic given for lower respiratory tract infection of bacterial origin. Ambroxol-LS is a cough suppressant preparation used for wet ...  Read Full »

My son often has severe cough in the mornings. Could it be an allergy?

Query: Hello doctor, My son is 2 years and 8 months old. He has a severe cough nowadays, especially in the morning. I am currently giving him Levolin syrup for his cough. Also, he vomits after a bout of a cough. He has a history of wheezing and was prescribed nebulizers by the doctor. I need to give him...  Read Full »

Dr. Prashant Kumar Singh

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Do not unnecessarily start him on antibiotics. It is common in children of this age group to have a cough and cold on and off, due to seasonal variations. He will overcome it as he grows old. Do not start antibiotics unless the cough is associated with fever. Continu...  Read Full »