Q. I had a breakdown as a result of not taking my antidepressant. Please help.

Dr. Arooj Najmussaqib
and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on Jul 26, 2019

I have not been taking my antidepressants (Escitalopram), and I had a breakdown in front of my family who do not know anything about my depression, suicidal thoughts, and OCD. And I am currently locked in the bathroom and cannot stop crying, and I cannot see my therapist in a month. Kindly help.

Dr. Arooj Najmussaqib

Psychologist/ Counsellor
#

Your present condition may be due to not taking medications, it aggravated. At first, take your dose and consult some other professional near you for drugs and help you from coming out of this phase. Besides, the problem you are facing cannot be hidden from close relatives, especially family members. It is a part of you, which cant be ignored. And believe me, they will accept you as you are because they love you much.

By some insight, they will get to know about the problem as well that it is manageable with adequate therapeutic interventions. Sometimes it is good to have some people by your side, and I am glad you have some who would truly care and understand you. Be strong, you have come much far and took all the burden on your own.

Can I take antidepressants only when needed and not continuously?

Query: Hello doctor, I have depression. But for some reason, I do not want to take antidepressants. I have been taking it for the past one year. And have stopped it. But sometimes I get very depressed. Can I take my antidepressant like Desvenlafaxine sometimes? As needed? Or maybe any other antidepressant ...  Read Full »

I am suicidal and feel manipulated and exploited. Please advise.

Query: Hello doctor, I am suicidal. I feel so manipulated and exploited. My parents never listen to what I say and indirectly or directly cause some very unpleasant memories. Maybe I just want to be an ordinary kid, I want to play computer games and stuff, maybe I do not need to do academic stuff all the ...  Read Full »

Depression - Awareness, Self-Diagnosis, and Treatment Modalities

Article Overview: Depression is among the top five causes of morbidity in today’s world. It remains largely undiagnosed and underreported because of a lack of adequate knowledge, both among the patients as well as the physicians. It is majorly characterized by the presence of a continuous sad mood, anhedonia, and easy fatiguability along with a host of secondary symptoms, which aid in quantifying the severity of the depressive disorder. So, it is the need of the hour that awareness is raised among the masses regarding this illness that is soon poised to be the number one cause of morbidity. Read Article

Dr. Ajay Singh

Depression has been recorded in the annals of history since time immemorial, but never has it assumed so much significance as it has in today’s world. With the advent of technology today, the human society is evolving by leaps and bounds with every passing day. As the saying goes that every co...  Read Article