Q. Is Trintellix a good drug for anxiety?

and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

A few months ago, I went through a hard time, and since then, I have thoughts about death every day, all the time, which makes me depressed and anxious. I went to a psychiatrist and I was given Trintellix for depression treatment. I was on 10 mg for two weeks and have now been on 20 mg for a few days. It worked well for my depression, but I still suffer from anxiety and continued thoughts about death (though not suicidal). Depression is gone now, but I still have negative thoughts daily. Do you think my antidepressant is enough to treat anxiety, or do you recommend any medication specifically for anxiety?

Do you have a question on Antidepressants or Anti Anxiety Drugs?

Ask a Doctor Now

MBBS., MD PSYCHIATRY
Psychiatry Psychotherapy Sexology

You should wait for about two more weeks to see the best effects of medicines. In most cases, typically antidepressant drugs show results in around four to six weeks. Since your bad thoughts about death are controlled, but you still have negative thoughts so in such case you should stick on this drug for a few more days and it will work. If symptoms persist, then the dose should be increased, or medication should be replaced. Consult your psychiatrist for this.

Can I take antidepressants only when needed and not continuously?
Query: Hello doctor, I have depression. But for some reason, I do not want to take antidepressants. I have been taking it for the past one year. And have stopped it. But sometimes I get very depressed. Can I take my antidepressant like Desvenlafaxine sometimes? As needed? Or maybe any other antidepressant ...  Read Full »
Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have not mentioned the severity of your depression. If you have the first episode of depression. and you were stable on medication for more than six months then you can try to stop the medication. But if you have again depression then you need to take medication. Y...  Read Full »

I want to go off antidepressants but have trouble sleeping. What can I do?
Query: Hello doctor, I am 22 years old. I have been on the following antidepressants for two years. Morning: Modapex 50 one pill, Depakene, Lamotrigine 25 mg one pill. Night: Clozapex 25 mg half a pill, Mirtimash 30 g half a pill, Depakine Chrono 500 mg one pill, and Anafranil 75 mg half a pill. I used t...  Read Full »
Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Because of stopping the medication you have a problem with sleep. You should try some sleep medication for a short time and then taper it. I suggest tablet Diazepam 5 mg before sleep. It is Benzodiazepine group drug and long duration, but it is addictive. So, you mu...  Read Full »

Is there a possibility that antidepressants can cause absence of sex drive?
Query: Hi doctor, I am 19 years old. I do not have any sexual desire or libido. I am not getting normal erection. I have done a hormonal test to see if something is wrong. Currently, I am on antidepressant. The clinic said that the results are normal. But, I have a feeling that something must be there. ...  Read Full »
Dr. Bindiya Thakkar
Endocrinologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your submitted blood work (attachment removed to protect patient identity) looks normal. I do have some questions for you though. Did you have normal puberty as compared to your peers such as height, shaving, pubic hair, etc? Did you have normal sexual desire and libi...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now