Q. Will antipsychotics bring down the levels of T3 and T4?

This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 13, 2014 and last reviewed on: Jan 20, 2022

A 44 year old male relative of mine takes the following antipsychotics: Sertraline, Lamotrigine, and Quetiapine. He has been feeling anxious for a few weeks. His recent blood tests show low levels of total T4 and T3 (TSH and free T4 within normal range). Is this condition associated with the medication he takes? Should he take Levothyroxine to supplement this deficiency?

#

None of the medications used by your relative is directly related to low levels of total T3 and T4.

His current thyroid status is known as a euthyroid sick syndrome.

Thyroid supplement should be prescribed only after repeated assessments of thyroid levels. This is because errors are very common even in reputed laboratories. Even after second thyroid assessment, if the reports are similar, it is advisable to supplement with Levothyroxine.

Other than correcting the suboptimal thyroid status, Levothyroxine helps in managing residual symptoms of depression and anxiety for which he is taking the current medications.

Consult a psychiatrist online for further queries --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

|