Q. Is there any permanent cure for erosive antral gastritis?

Dr. Lohit Chauhan
Published on Jan 15, 2020

I am 43 years old. From my 25 years of age I am suffering from burning epigastrium i.e. erosive antral gastritis. The endoscopy report shows erosion ++, congestion +.

My Physician has suggested any of PPI like Pantroprazole 40 mg OD or Rabeprazole 40 mg OD. I Simply wish to know is there any way out to cure it? I am taking PPIs for 22 years. I am negative for H.Pylori.

Dr. Lohit Chauhan

#

Along with chronic gastritis, you seem to be having hypertension and might also have diabetes. You must get your HbA1C (glycated hemoglobin) levels done.

The chronic gastritis is basically of 3 types, environmental, autoimmune and least common diffuse antral gastritis. As you have reported above yours is an antral type. The problem with antral type gastritis is that it is associated with increased acid output from the gastric glands and might lead to duodenal ulcers.

PPI (Proton Pump Inhibitors) are H+ion (proton) inhibitors, they block acid secretion and hence are helpful in this type. Now the catch here is H.Pylori. Usually, H.Pylori is harmful and causes destruction of gastric glands, but in case of antral Gastritis where the gastric glands are hypersecreting, the destruction of these glands provides symptomatic relief. In your case H.Pylori is negative and hence you are having these symptoms.

Your symptoms will remain suppressed while you take PPI and whenever you will stop PPI there would be an exacerbation of these symptoms. You should get yourself thoroughly investigated and other organic causes should be ruled out. Some lifestyle modifications you can try, which I have already answered in this link.

Here was a study performed in China, where it was found that "green tea" reduced the risk of gastritis by 50%. I hope your treating physician would have tried giving you Sucralfate or Gefarnate. If not you can try the above either of the two.

Also, you should keep a check on your blood sugar levels and exercise regularly. An hour of a brisk walk for five out of seven days in a week will definitely help.

| 

Am I suffering from achalasia or GERD?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 31 year old male. I recently had a severe chest pain like heartburn and visited a gastroenterologist doctor. I am also suffering from swallowing disorder for the past seven to eight months, especially solid foods and sometime liquids too. It feels that whenever I eat food it stuck ...  Read Full »

Taking Pantoprazole for GERD. Is any drug interactions between Pantoprazole and Voltaren?

Query: Hello doctor, I am on 40 mg Pantoprazole twice a day for GERD. I just took 50 mg Voltaren for a bad back and I am worried sick. I checked online and it said no drug interactions. I have not yet taken my nightly dose of Pantoprazole, should I not take it?  Read Full »

Is tablet Pansec increasing my father's creatinine levels?

Query: Hello doctor, My father is being treated for peptic ulcer, from the past 15 days. So, he is taking a medicine called as Pansec 40 mg, in the morning and evening. He has also developed slight kidney problems, and his creatinine has raised to 1.6. To rule out renal cancer, the doctor will perform ...  Read Full »