Q. Can someone recover completely from recurrent anxiety attacks?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Hi.

About two and a half years ago, I had a severe psychological crisis due to work-related stress. As a result, I had anxiety, hopelessness, sadness, suicidal obsession, aggressive, intrusive thoughts, and fear of being alone. For the past five months, I have been managing my symptoms well. However, I had to take a trip to another place, after which I started to sleep a lot and feel exhausted, hopeless, and anxious again. Currently, I am using the tablet Escitalopram 10 mg. I have been diagnosed with DF 43.9 "reaction to severe stress, unspecified." What does it mean? Do I have any chances of complete recovery? Is it the same as burnout? I am experiencing symptoms like tension, headache, and stomach ache. I also have difficulty relaxing and have been crying a lot.

Kindly help.

#

I understand your concern and will surely help you out.

Reaction to severe stress can be considered similar to burnout. You seem to have developed depression and anxiety symptoms due to work-related stress. Experiencing the symptoms again is common and is not necessarily considered a setback. With the proper treatment and lifestyle modifications, full recovery is possible, and you can minimize getting affected by stressful situations. Escitalopram 10 mg once daily is a safe and effective medication for this condition. It would help if you visited your doctor regularly to optimize the dose according to your mental state. CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) or psychological treatment can help manage stress, anxiety, and low moods. You can also do regular exercise, deep breathing techniques, and progressive muscle relaxation, which are known to be beneficial in managing stress.

|